Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Sore Hands-- Hand Position

1K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Peanya 
The reality....whatever feels comfortable.

I use multiple hand positions while on the hoods. Sometimes I have my hands wrapped around the hoods, sometimes I have my palms resting against the bulge on the top of my Shimano shifters and sometimes I have my hands wrapped around the bulge on the top of the Shimano shifters.

However, I actually spend the vast majority of the time in my drops.

If your hoods are slightly angled down try playing with their position. Try leveling them or angle them slightly up...this seems to help a lot with numb or sore hands. Worst case scenario...use all the different positions your bars provide and move positions every 5 minutes or so. This way your hands get lots of different pressure points and it changes all the time. So alternate from your hoods to your drops to your bar tops, etc...

kawarider said:
Hmmm.. so no magic cure. Thanks for the suggestions! :)
Unfortunately....No.

The best thing you can do is play with rotating your bar and play with where the hoods/shifters are until you find a comfortable set up.

Aside from that, it's moving around on the bars a lot using different positions to relieve pressure on your hands.

If the soreness was coming from a rough ride....you would have options. In this case, you could try lower tire pressures, bigger tires, carbon bars/stems, etc...but if it's just from positioning all you can do is try and change the position and move around more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.