Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Sore Hands-- Hand Position

1K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Peanya 
kawarider said:
I haven't seen any posts about which part of your hand you are supposed to rest on when you are on the hoods. Is it on the two bones by your palm? If this is the case, then the theory of having your wrists fairly straight won't work. The problem is that I've been wresting on the outsides of my hands, but I feel like I'm smashing nerves in there and it's sore. My hoods are angled just slightly down. If anyone can help, that would be great! Thanks!
I recently brought a non-cycling friend along on a ride and she complained about the same thing. She said that her hands were really hurting her and that she was having some numbness. Now, you do have a nerve that runs through your hand and if you're putting a lot of pressure on your palms, that might be where your "smashed nerve" feeling is coming from. That can also cause some numbness. Some of the things I suggested to my friend was 1) that she borrow my gloves for extra padding and 2) that she not lock her elbows up. If you are riding with your elbows locked straight, trying bending them slightly and easing up on how much weight you place on your hands. Try holding yourself up more with your stomach and back muscles so that you can just rest your hands on the bars instead of holding them in a death grip. You might also have some luck adjusting your bars, as others have suggested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.