Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I haven't ridden my road bike regularly for two years. I have all summer off and have been riding again for about a week. My rear end gets sore after about 40 minutes of cycling.

Could this be due to the lay off? I'm hoping so, instead of a poor fitting bike or an incompatible saddle.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Yes, it's normal. I had to lay off for three months when I broke my hip a few years back. My rear was sore for a couple of weeks. I pulled off my San Marco Concor Light and replaced it with a Fizik Rondine (which is wide and soft) for a few weeks. The Concor Light was too narrow and hard. You might consider a softer saddle for awhile. It will take time for your butt to get some miles on it...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Yep! There's always a little "getting to know you" period that everyone had to go through. If you do too much too fast, you may regret for some time. Make sure you're wearing shorts with a good pad, no underwear, and plenty of lube on the nether regions. I like Vaseline or its generic equivalent.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yep. Just keep riding- your 'taint should toughen up soon enough.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes, it happens. I had a long layoff due to back surgery and even my Brooks B-17 wasn't comfortable for a little while. As the others have said, use good shorts and don't push yourself too hard, build your base back up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.