Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About three weeks ago I did a 50 mile race (I'm beginner/cat 5) and since then I've had a very sore right sit bone. I was even off my bike for about a week while I was away on business last week and thought it was cured but it flared up again when I got on my bike Monday. It feels like the very tip of my right sit bone is bruised or something. I've never had any other saddle related problems with this bike which I've has since last September. Anyone have any suggestions on fixing/curing it? More time off the bike :)() softer saddle? Something else?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
203 Posts
Check the following
1. Saddle too high. Re check your fitting
2. Too much weight. Maybe you need to let some pounds go.
3. Bad quality/too thin chamois. Check the quality.

Good luck and tell us how it goes.

Enviado desde mi SM-E700M mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

I'll think about 1 and 3. I weigh about 128lb/58kg so I don't think it's a rider weight issue.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
1) Does the saddle or your shorts have uneven indentation / wear patter on the side that hurts?
2) Is the saddle pointing straight front to back? It's possible that it rotated slightly after some use.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
If you've got bruised during the race (bumpy road or pothole), it will take more than a week for the pain to go away completely. Give another week and see if it subsides.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
If it's not a bruise, it sounds like maybe a case of too much too soon? I'll often double wrap the boys and wear two sets of shorts in the early season on long rides if I've been off the bike for a while in the winter. It takes my butt a bit to get back in shape.

Always use Chamois cream and I find that diaper rash cream (zinc oxide) can help with recovery.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Could be hamstring tendinitis or ischial bursitis. Stretching and icing - yes, down there - might be needed. Could be a bruised bone - again, ice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input. Even though it was my first race I'm not new to riding, only racing (road racing, I also race CX). I do lots of other rides from a 9 mile commute to 50+ mile weekend rides, so I don't think it's a case of too much too soon. For some reason it was the race that seemed to cause the pain. Maybe it wasn't so much the road surface or a big bump but just the higher intensity of the ride in general. It's also worth noting that it's only my right sit bone that is painful...no problems on the left side. Maybe it a general body alignment issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts