Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year has been a big year for me. My weekly mileage has gone up signifigantly and now I am averaging 210-240 per week. Generally it is wrapped into 3 rides at about 80 miles each. I feel good during the rides, strong legs and I am averaging 20-21 MPH. So I don't have any compliants about the rides, the real issue is my butt!!! If I ride on Monday then I take off Tuesday to let everything recover. My legs feel great, but my butt needs the extra day to recover. I don't have saddle sores but the area is a little red. After the "recovery" day I am good to go again.
I am thinking about doing the AMGEN ride from SF to LA and the main concern is back to back rides. I can do a century no problem, but I am trying to get multiple days in the saddle and it is proving to be difficult. I feel good on the bike and don't want to adjust anything unless I absolutely have to.

Any help guys?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Chamois cream maybe? It's worth a try. Also maybe a thicker chamois would also help.

·
Registered
164 Posts
tubafreak said:
Chamois cream maybe? It's worth a try. Also maybe a thicker chamois would also help.
I second the chamois cream, but I would suggest a thinner chamois. Sounds to me like there's just too much padding down there, and it's chafing. I had problems when I used to use heavily padded shorts. If you have a good, comfortable saddle you shouldn't need excessive padding.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Brooks Saddle and a thin pad.

Putting more junk under your butt ain't likely to solve the problem.

Chamois cream may help a bit but is only going to mask the issue not cure it.

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
One saddle doesn't fit all. Take the time to go to a bike shop during a relatively slow time at the shop and ask to try the saddles on you bike. A short ride will reveal which saddle hits you in the right places.

For me, I found comfort in the Selle Italia Max Flite Trans Am. I like a simple smooth leather-like chamois, not the colored, shaped, cloth pads currently used a lot. I don't like chamois cream. It just feels ... icky.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
c0braje7 said:
I am thinking about doing the AMGEN ride from SF to LA and the main concern is back to back rides. I can do a century no problem, but I am trying to get multiple days in the saddle and it is proving to be difficult. I feel good on the bike and don't want to adjust anything unless I absolutely have to.

Any help guys?
Good advice from others, so I'll just say: Don't let some soreness slow you down from doing the ride. I was surprised at how much easier the Amgen CCC ride was than I expected. If you can ride 80 miles, you can do the ride without any trouble.

There's also little need to hurry. If you're used to riding at 21- 22 mph, you can slow your pace down (not a lot to do once you get to your next destination). I was usually one of the first to camp each day and I'm not a fast rider. Most of the folks take it pretty casually, making stops along the way.

By the way, one other piece of advice that helped me -- you're not in a race, so move around on the saddle a bit and get up out of it once in a while. I found that some of my soreness was because I sat in exactly the same place for an entire ride, and virtually never got up out of the saddle. By moving around a bit more, it helped considerably.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
sound to me like friction is the problem

If your saddle fits well you need very little padding. If you need a thick chamois, your saddle doesn't fit well

I prefer thinner chamoises. Thick ones rub me more; gel rubs me the most.

I prefer BodyGlide over chamois creams, ymmv

You don't say how quickly you jacked up your mileage. Fit people, good athletes and the mentally tough can often do a lot of miles before their bodies are toughened enough to do those miles comfortably. You may be lucky this is your biggest problem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well all of last season I was averaging around 150 -175 per week and this season I moved that up to 210-240. I generally ride alone so I tend to push more than I would if I was riding in a pack. So I find that I am pedaling more (since I don't have a draft). That might be the problem. I also find that I tend to sit on long climbs. I am much faster sitting but I am sure that grinding up hills sitting the entire time isn't doing my butt any good!
I am not worried about any single day mileage with the AMGEN ride. I am worried about day after day mileage.

I have tried a few different saddles and the main issue is that I don't have a problem with my saddle last season (50 miles daily). Now that I have upped the mileage my butt hurts. I am just trying to find out if there are "growing pains" with adding mileage? When I talk to my non-bike friends there first response is "You're surprised that your butt hurts after riding 80 miles?!?!?!?!?" I know in a perfect world everything should feel like silk, but doesn't it just take some time for your body to get conditioned for bigger rides?

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
c0braje7 said:
Well all of last season I was averaging around 150 -175 per week and this season I moved that up to 210-240. I generally ride alone so I tend to push more than I would if I was riding in a pack. So I find that I am pedaling more (since I don't have a draft). That might be the problem. I also find that I tend to sit on long climbs. I am much faster sitting but I am sure that grinding up hills sitting the entire time isn't doing my butt any good!
I am not worried about any single day mileage with the AMGEN ride. I am worried about day after day mileage.

I have tried a few different saddles and the main issue is that I don't have a problem with my saddle last season (50 miles daily). Now that I have upped the mileage my butt hurts. I am just trying to find out if there are "growing pains" with adding mileage? When I talk to my non-bike friends there first response is "You're surprised that your butt hurts after riding 80 miles?!?!?!?!?" I know in a perfect world everything should feel like silk, but doesn't it just take some time for your body to get conditioned for bigger rides?
Well, it sounds like your non-cycling fans have it pegged.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
It's hard to add anything about distance riding when MB1 has replied, however it could be as simple as the bike not fitting right. Even slight movements can add up to a lot of friction over long rides.

I went with a Brooks saddle a little over a year ago, and that has fixed most of the problems.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nobody else has asked but what exactly do you mean when your butt is sore? Like skin level sore or deeper? Most of the suggestions so far have only dealt with skin level sore like the chamois butter won't help if you have like bruising or muscular soreness.

It could well be a fit issue, your saddle angle might need to go down/up or it might need to move backward/forward or even up/down, the width of the saddle can make a difference as well.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Some butts just aren't made for riding. I've been around the block a few times and tried many things. I'm currently riding a Brooks saddle. While it may be the most comfortable distance saddle, I still experience significant discomfort when my mileage goes way up.

All the tricks I use simply allow me to ride longer before the pain begins. Once the pain comes, I suffer.

One piece of advice that hasn't been said yet:
Any friction is bad. It could also be the friction between you and your shorts. Wear the tightest fitting shorts you can get on. This minimizes the movement of the shorts on your body.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After my longer rides I had redness on both sides. It is a little tender to the touch but the tenderness is gone the next day. The redness stays the next day. The skin seems a bit chaffed I guess you could say. One of the things that I have noticed is that I tend to push back on the saddle which pushes my chamois up. Half way through my ride yesterday I stopped pulled my bibs up slightly from about waist high and I could immediately feel the difference. It is almost like my bibs are moving forward too much. Once I made the adjustment my bibs were nice and snug and everything was good again.
I also noticed that my sliding back routine seems to happen after standing during climbs. I will stand then go back to sit and I will slide back onto the saddle. This might be pulling my bibs ever so slightly down and forward.
My bibs fit extremely well and like I said I don't have these problems on shorter rides. I am riding Castelli Kiss bibs as an FYI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.