Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions on making your seat a little more comfortable on your bike when you are doing some spinning on your trainer. Not sure if it is the angle of the bike or what, but I get very num in certain areas(you know what i am talking about). I wear some biking shorts with pading but that doesn't seem to do the trick. The reason i think it is the angle is when i am riding outside i dont experience the numbness. I have the front tire lifted when i am on my trainer to make the bike more level instead of it leaning forward.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Trainer Discomfort

I know what you're talking about. Interstingly, I get this with 2 bikes that don't bother me at all on the road. My best guess is that on the trainer I spend extended periods in 1 position. No standing or bike maneuvering. I now try to move around & stand up a bit.
Do try and make sure the wheels are level.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Do stuff you do on the road.

Stand up and climb, look back at traffic, sit up and ride no hands, move your hands around the bars, coast and stretch one leg, etc. Even if you did none of the above on the road, just bouncing around changes how you sit on the bike way more than riding on the trainer changes it unless you do it consciously.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Geeky fix, but it works

My trainer bike is my singlespeed, an old Trek with a Brooks B-17, a saddle I can ride for three or four hours on the road without any trouble at all. On the trainer, I'm good for maybe 30 or 40 minutes.
Last year I saw one of those thick gel saddle covers on a clearance table for five bucks. I was sort of laughing at it--it weighs a couple of pounds and just screams "slow"--when a light came on. I put it on the trainer, and it's at least doubled my saddle-time-before-numbness. If you get one, you'll probably need to lower the seat a centimeter or so.
I'd still be embarrassed to ride it on the road, but I don't need it there. They're normally about $12, I think.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Cory said:
My trainer bike is my singlespeed, an old Trek with a Brooks B-17, a saddle I can ride for three or four hours on the road without any trouble at all. On the trainer, I'm good for maybe 30 or 40 minutes.
Last year I saw one of those thick gel saddle covers on a clearance table for five bucks. I was sort of laughing at it--it weighs a couple of pounds and just screams "slow"--when a light came on. I put it on the trainer, and it's at least doubled my saddle-time-before-numbness. If you get one, you'll probably need to lower the seat a centimeter or so.
I'd still be embarrassed to ride it on the road, but I don't need it there. They're normally about $12, I think.
I have a big gel saddle on my trainer too. It makes no handed pedaling considerably more comfortable. If you can't find one cheap check eBay, I got 3 old saddles for $2.75 + shipping (one was a white one that looks cool, and the other two are gel saddles of varying widths).

Also, I am brand new to cycling so my advice is pure physics speculation, but you said you raised your front wheel on the trainer. You have therefore put more of your weight distribution on the back, which is good if your hands get numb, but that is not your issue. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts