Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the best forum for my question. This forum seems to focus many on overseas websites, since most of the best deals come from over there. And as such, I'm wondering if anyone has ordered from "bike24" before. They are apparently out of Germany, and have some screaming deals on groupsets.

First of all, does anyone have any experience with them? If you have, what shipping service do they use in the US? My main question is about fees...the groupset is around $1000, so I'm assuming this crosses the threshold for paying import tax? Unfortunately, as with most things from the federal government, it doesn't seem to be very clear (to me) what I can expect to pay, and based on things I've read posted here and elsewhere, it can be hit or miss what you have to pay. Also, I've read some of the UK retailers use a brokerage service which collects even more money, so again, anyone who has used this site before, is there anything you can shed on this as well?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Last time I looked at getting something from them they listed DHL as the courier on their website under shipping.
All the couriers charge brokerage fees if you get hit for import tax, it is billed as their fee for processing your package through customs.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
In early 2016, US regulations changed to allow up to $800 of goods to be purchased from abroad without any duties. Used to be $400 limit.

Final deliveries via US Postal Service -- even when handed over to USPS from a foreign carrier -- almost never bother to collect any duty that's owed, and USPS never charges a "brokers fee", either.

If one of the large commercial services is used for delivery to your doorstep -- UPS, Fedex, DHL -- they will almost certainly collect any duty owed, and also charge you a "brokerage fee" for the privilege.

Having said that, once DHL delivered a UK shipment directly to me in USA. I grudgingly expected a bill for "brokerage services" to eventually show up, but never did.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Once I had a Wiggle order delivered to me in Canada via DHL, and DID subsequently get a bill. Never did get a good explanation for why I had been "upgraded".

Up to you OP what you want to do. Normally stores like Ribble and Wiggle use the respective countries national mail services. Which in the US is a good thing normally.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have used bike24 with no problems at all.

They do use DHL, but DHL for some reason hands over the package to USPS.
I've sent stuff to the US myself through DHL lots of times (when I didn't feel like lugging it around airports myself) from Germany and the Netherlands, and delivery was always by USPS. Takes quite a while to arrive though.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
Bike24 has a good reputation. I used the other big website from Germany bikediscount to buy a Tacx smart trainer early this year. They used DHL (which I think now is a subsidiary of the German postal service) which handed over to USPS. No duties on about a $600 purchase and delivery was smooth. A lot of time was spent I think in German outbound customs, took about 3 weeks.

Flip side of that was the trainer was defective (now Ive found very common with tacx smart trainers) and it was a big PITA to return, but worked out OK in the end.

338 Posts
I have used bike24 with no problems at all.

They do use DHL, but DHL for some reason hands over the package to USPS.
I've sent stuff to the US myself through DHL lots of times (when I didn't feel like lugging it around airports myself) from Germany and the Netherlands, and delivery was always by USPS. Takes quite a while to arrive though.
DHL in Germany is their postal service - I've ordered a bunch of items from various shops there and they explained that to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts