Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through the links after doing a search but still have a question. My pain is under the knee cap, that is NOT behind it but lower down - just below the knee cap and medial. I have not changed anything on the bike or my shoes. I am doing all indoor trainer work now as I have been since Dec; the only thing that has changed a little is instead of riding to spinervals 11.0 BIG GEAR STRENGTH 1x/wk - I'm now doing it 2x/wk. I have done this for a couple of weeks but it is only in the past three days I have had this pain. I have my doubts that this contributed to the problem but I'm no expert. I elected to not complete my ride today as it hurt right off the bat and after 12 minutes if easy riding it was getting worse so I called it quits and took an Aleve. What do I need to be considering?

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Spintogrin said:
I have read through the links after doing a search but still have a question. My pain is under the knee cap, that is NOT behind it but lower down - just below the knee cap and medial. I have not changed anything on the bike or my shoes. I am doing all indoor trainer work now as I have been since Dec; the only thing that has changed a little is instead of riding to spinervals 11.0 BIG GEAR STRENGTH 1x/wk - I'm now doing it 2x/wk. I have done this for a couple of weeks but it is only in the past three days I have had this pain. I have my doubts that this contributed to the problem but I'm no expert. I elected to not complete my ride today as it hurt right off the bat and after 12 minutes if easy riding it was getting worse so I called it quits and took an Aleve. What do I need to be considering?

Sounds like patellar tendonitis. I had a pretty bad case over the winter from poor weight training. I'd suggest going to a ortho and getting a good exam and a referral to a good physical therapist.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
daneil

If this should be the case, could I ask what did you have to do to remedy the situation? Could you ride or was there an extended period of off the bike rehab? :(

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Spintogrin said:
daneil

If this should be the case, could I ask what did you have to do to remedy the situation? Could you ride or was there an extended period of off the bike rehab? :(
It's all up to your PT. Thankfully, most PT's will perscribe some very light bike work as rehab.

·
Clyde-o-Matic
713 Posts
After rehabbing from 5 arthoscopic knee surgeries (basketball), I can feel your pain. If you are having cycling related pain under your knee cap, it generally comes from two things in my opinion. Too low of seat or too big of gear. If your seat is at right height, its probably too much cranking on the big gears.

Before I try cranking on the big gears, I try to spend 6 weeks getting my knees ready for it. I try to do 2 sessions per week of 80-85 rpms at 75% or less of max heart rate. If I spend my Jan and Feb offseason doing this workout with easy additional easy, spinning workouts, my knees are more than read to start cranking hard in March or April.

I would also advocate a good stretching program. 99% of the time when my knees flare-up, it is because I have gotten lazy with my stretching program.

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
I am experiencing the exact same thing right now. My coach has me icing the knee for 20 minutes at a time. 400 mg of ibuprophen every few hours. The knee is feeling better since Saturday.

Great suggestion on the stretching.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I'm taking naproxen, a.k.a.Aleve and the pain is gone but I only rode easy for 70 minutes on Sunday; 70-75 rpm @ 65%. I will wait a week or two before I attempt to put any kind of load on it. For now I am going to try to stick somewhat to Rockstar's formula - 80rpm @ 70-75% and see if I can tolerate this for a while so I don't loose too much ground.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts