Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly, I do pity Cadel.

Sure, he doesn't attack etc etc etc. But he sure as heck worked real hard this year at the very least and did what he could.

Good Tour by him nonetheless.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed the better man won. Kudos to Sastre. Good time to attack. Great TT today. Great Tour this year.

Wonderful rides by many more like Schleck (both), Kohl and Schumacher. Oh and Cavendish too. Wait, Christian Vande Velde was awesome as well.

Good team effort by Voigt and Cancellera to pull the peloton on a few occasions.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was pulling for Sastre to keep Yellow today... but I have to imagine that Cadel is an absolute wreck. It has to be so disheartening to come up short again knowing that AC is going to be back next year. This was his best shot to do it, not that he won't have other shots in the coming years. The guy was so emotional when he took the Jersey, and today must have been a nightmare... watching it slip away. GREAT ride today by Sastre. Seems like CSC did the right thing on the Alpe after all since F. Schleck had nothing left for today's effort. Great stage, great Tour... time to start looking forward to next year.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
I really think Cadel's a bit too high-strung for the yellow jersey. It really seemed to wear him out, the pressure etc.

Factor in a weak team (but not totally worthless by any means; they kept him in position and he never had a bad day).

But Sastre got stronger as the race went on; and Cadel got worn out. I think he may have started his peak a bit early, and the pressure wore him out.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Creakyknees said:
I really think Cadel's a bit too high-strung for the yellow jersey. It really seemed to wear him out, the pressure etc.

Factor in a weak team (but not totally worthless by any means; they kept him in position and he never had a bad day).

But Sastre got stronger as the race went on; and Cadel got worn out. I think he may have started his peak a bit early, and the pressure wore him out.
Also, Cadel had to hold his place as best as he could with the frequent attacks etc whereas CSC had many guns to fire.

G

·
Creakyknees said:

Yeah, grabbing the Jersey early was probably a bad move. He did have one bad day (the one where he crashed, I wonder if that's part of the reason he had less energy today than last year).

·
Banned
109 Posts
I am glad Evans didnt win. Again he blames his team. What a dink. One thing you NEVER do is bash your team. Those guys turned themselves inside out for him. Evans got beat because Sastre climbed better. Enough said.

"The Australian expressed his disappointment that his team, once more, was not there at his side when he needed them. "I would have like some more support in the high mountains. At least one team member to ride with me and help at the tough end of a climbing stage," he said. "I would also have expected a bit more help from some other key riders when the pressure was on in the big climbs."

·
Banned
14,487 Posts
I just read Evans' quote about his team on cyclingnews. I do feel sorry for the man, but what a jackass.

stig said:
Evans should have not allowed Sastre to get that gap on the Alpe.

Such arrogance!

Tsk Tsk!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Maybe it's not complaining and b*tching as much as it is wishing.
Maybe it's true that he would have done better if he'd had a teammate able to stay with him. I don't know. I don't think Sastre could have done what he did alone.

·
Banned
14,487 Posts
No doubt it's true. But to SAY it -- Naw. He's done this before, blaming his team, and it's just tiresome. CSC whipped his ass -- end of story. Better men than Evans would have been plumb wore down against that team. No shame in it, and no need to cast blame. Everyone knows Popo failed him, so why sound like a whiner?

cheddarlove said:
Maybe it's not complaining and b*tching as much as it is wishing.
Maybe it's true that he would have done better if he'd had a teammate able to stay with him. I don't know. I don't think Sastre could have done what he did alone.

·
Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
Evans seems to say some stupid things at times. He's not going make a lot of friends on the team or in the peloton, but it's not really the teammates fault as it is the team management that either brought the wrong team to the tour to support a GC contendor, or just don't have the right guys on the team to fill out a competitive tour squad

Lotto brought a knife to a gun fight. They had one guy, Popo, on the team to help in the mountains, and he didn't have a good race. What was McEwen doing on the team? He couldn't win a sprint, but did waste energy trying to. To win the tour these days you really need to be totally dedicated to winning the overall, and forget the other competitions.

Team CSC rode a beautiful race, Hide for 2 weeks and save energy, then move to the front and lay down the law.

Imagine if Cadel had one or two guys that could actually hang in the mountains and mark the CSC guys? Imagine if Cadel and Lotto didn't waste all that energy protecting the yellow jersey.

I have a lot of respect for how Cadel rode this tour, it was him vs 3 guys, and he acquitted himself well, but in the end he was worn down by fighting a well organized team that executed their plan to perfection.

·
Booo-yaaawwwww!!!!!!!!!!!
549 Posts
Velonews said:
Lotto party silenced
Plans for an elaborate victory party for Silence-Lotto were shelved after Cadel Evans couldn’t close the deal against Spanish climber Carlos Sastre in Saturday’s time trial.

The team had rented out a Parisian discotheque and hired five white limousines to deliver the triumphant riders. Rather than yellow, the night’s theme was supposed to be white, with everyone dressed up in white tuxedos and dinner dresses.

Instead, the team’s celebration plans went black Saturday when Sastre fended off Evans to relegate the Australian to second place to a Spanish rider for the second year in a row.

“I rode well and I believe I made a good time trial, but my rivals were just incredible,” said a disappointed Evans. “I wasn’t nervous at all. I was always calm. I tried to do the best I could, but they beat us. Carlos Sastre was stronger and he counted on a great team.”
Anyone that arrogant deserves to have their "butt" handed to them on a silver plater. But only after they get smashed in the face with humble pie. This was an awesome tour. Schumacher lost the jersey same way Hincape did. Ricco "Suave" has only his blonde locks and hair gel to keep him company in the police station. And Evans lose the tour. I can't wait to get this thing on DVD!

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Evans wouldn't have been involved in the party organization - all the teams put on parties for sponsors etc. His comment don''t exactly sound arrogant. Maybe he shouldn't have said it, but in all fairness he's right that his team didn't provide much support for him in the mountains. All he would have needed is a teammate to pace him partway up Alpe D'huez.

No one seems to remember the year Armstrong was isolated on one climb and everyone freaked out. CSC proved how much of a team event it is and used team tactics to wear down Evans perfectly.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.