Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Souke Sports is a new Road Bike Review Vendor Member.

They’ve been reaching out looking for RBR members to test their products. I’ve agreed to test their bibs and a jersey.
Disclaimer: These were sent to me free of charge. However, no request was made as to how I review them. Only that I give an honest review.

They have three levels of bibs.
4D Padded Cycling Bib Shorts: $42.99
Pro Cycling Bib: $89.99
New Top Fabric Mens' Pro Cycling Bib: $103.99

The bibs sent to me were the entry level 4D Bib Shorts. I don’t wear entry level bibs. I’m picky about my bibs and almost all my bibs anymore are high end Assos or Castelli. So my standard for these is pretty high.

They have this independant YouTube review on their site and it’s pretty good. I suggest watching as he captured more details than I could with a camera.
I agree with most everything in his review, but I differ on a few points and will detail below.
Youtube: Souke Sports Bib Shorts Review

Sizing: I found the sizing to be accurate. I’m 5’9” and around 160-165lbs. I wear a size S in other brands and the Souke S fit me correctly. Their size chart is pretty informative. Rather than each size having a different waist size, there is overlap. For instance, a 32” waist could be a size S,M,or L. Which would be correct depending on your height and build. They also include hip size to aid in your selection.
These 4D shorts have a mesh stretch panel on the thighs. I’ve had other shorts like this and don’t care for it. It makes them too stretchy IMO and I like my shorts to fit tight. If you’re looking for shorts with more give, you’ll probably like it. If you’re in between sizes, then I suggest you choose a size down as this stretchy material will give you more room.

Chamois Pad: This thing is thick and firm. The firmest pad I’ve ever had on a pair of shorts. It’s often you hear people complaining that pads aren’t thick enough. If you’re looking for shorts with a thick pad, this is them!
In my opinion, pads are like bike saddles. There’s a balance between just right and too think. (In the video above, he says the pad is not an uncomfortable thickness) For me these are pushing that limit. The first time I wore them it was uncomfortable. Particularly in the perineum area. It was thick and pinching in an uncomfortable way. The second time I wore them, it was better. So maybe they just need to break in a bit. Maybe it’s just a ‘me’ issue. These will be my trainer shorts for a while before I attempt a long outdoor ride.
I found the pad to be located correctly. Something I’ve had issues with on other shorts in the past. The center of the pad falls right on my sit bones.

Leg cuffs: Wow these are amazing. It’s a flat laying cuff with hundreds of little rubber dot leg grippers. When I put them on they grip so well I have to roll them back to get them up my legs. I hate hate hate leg grippers that don’t stick and let your shorts ride up into your crotch. These don’t do that. The nicest leg grippers I’ve ever had.

Straps: I know some people are very particular about their straps and complain about chaffing and digging. It’s not something I’ve ever had an issue with.
The straps on these shorts are paper thin. I’ve never had anything like them. A little bit of a hassle to put on as they tend to roll up on you. But super comfortable. (In the video he mentioned they stick to his skin and didn’t move around) I didn’t find that at all. It’s like they weren’t even there. I think if you have issues with bib straps, you would really like these.
My only concern is these being so thin is how they hold up over time. Will they lose their elasticity?

Waistline: The cut on the waistline was just right for me. Just below my belly button. Not too high that going to the bathroom would be difficult. And not too low that my non-washboard stomach would dig in or roll over.

Construction: Overall they appear well made. All the stitching seems high quality. We’ll see how they hold up over time.

All said and done, these are $43 shorts! Does anybody even sell <$50 bibs? These are on par or better than any sub $120 bib I’ve ever owned.
I’m definitely interested in seeing the Souke Pro model bibs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found Souke’s jersey selections puzzling. Almost all of their jersey’s are priced higher than their bibs. Not that they’re overpriced, compared to other brands. But their top of the line bib is only $104. Yet most of their jersey’s are more than that. Maybe they’re targeting the jersey market more.

It appears all of their jersey’s are form fitting race cut. I don’t see any “club” cut styles on their site.

I’m really not picky about my jerseys. I’ve collected a few dozen over the years and don’t often buy new ones. And if I do, it’s usually cheaper ones. Every time I seem to buy an expensive jersey, I stain it.
And… I think most companies designs are Fugly. Or black. Why does every jersey have to be black? Ugh. Or if it is color, the colors all clash like rainbow vomit.
Souke has a really nice selection of colors and designs. Simple designs that are one color, or two colors with a stripe or two.

The jersey they sent me was the Souke Men's Quick Dry Long Sleeve Cycling Jersey: $105.99
I really like the design and colors. It’s definitely a design I would buy.

They sent me this jersey because it’s fall temps right now. However I found this kinda odd. This is not a fall jersey. It’s thin… really thin. Designated as “Quick Dry”. It has breathable mesh panels on the back of the arms and on the sides. It’s a summer weight jersey. But… it’s long sleeve.
I know some people who live in dessert environments will wear long sleeve jerseys in the summer to block the sun. Or people who wear sun sleeves while riding. This would work quite well.
My summers are stinking hot and humid. I want as little cloth on me as possible.
I will definitely consider getting the short sleeve version of this for next summer though.

Souke does have other long sleeve jersey’s that look like a typical cool weather long sleeve. I think they need some better descriptions of these jersey types.

I did wear this jersey as a base layer under a thermal jersey yesterday for a ride in temps of 45°-55°. Not something I would normally do. But it worked out well. The jersey is thin and form fitting so it fit under well. Plus the extra set of pockets was nice to have.

Sizing: This I found odd given the sizing for the shorts was typical. They sent me an XL based on the measurements I gave (38”). Every jersey I’ve ever owned has always been a S or M.
But… according to their chart… I am an XL. And I was. The XL fit perfect! So all I can say is, trust the chart.

Fit: The fit on me is really nice. It’s a race cut (as I believe all their jersey’s are). Snug but not restrictive. Sleeves are the perfect length. The back is longer than the front. Longer than other race cut jersey’s I have. Which is nice. I wish I could’ve worn this by itself to see how it stays put or if it wants to ride up.
The collar is lower cut than other jerseys, and I find the size perfect. I often find jersey collars too tall and small that if zipped all the way up they choke and pinch me. Or the zipper jabs me. But this I didn’t notice at all.

Zipper: The zipper is a little finicky to get started. But it’s also on the opposite side from typical American men’s attire. It’s got a nice sided rubberized pull tab that’s easy to grip.

Pockets: The pockets are deep enough to hold your typical carried items. I don’t know if you could shove a water bottle in them though. Not something I ever do.
They also sit lower on the back. Making it easier to reach around and dig into them. I’ve got a bad shoulder and it’s definitely something I notice when pockets sit up higher.

Hopefully we get a warm spell and I can wear this outside. I will try and do a follow up of the bibs and jersey after I've used them more.

Attachments

·
Souke Sports - Where Cycling Gear Meets Fashion
139 Posts
Thank you @tlg for this honest review! Really appreciate this! I will forward to jersey side mesh advice to the designer, :D I am really happy you like our products for the most parts, and we will keep improving the designs, thank you a lot!
Looking forward to see any riding pictures feedbacks if there will be any! :cool:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thank you for the review. That jersey you posted, it was the exact One I was going to buy for fall/warmer winter day wearing. Glad you posted this, because now I know not to get it. I love the colors on it though! so perhaps they make something a bit heavier.

·
139 Posts
Hi Barelfly, the CL1201,1202 is the early Autumn design, as the temperature is getting cold, I think these might be bit cold to wear. You can check the CL1205, This one is with thicker fabric, and for the side mesh fabric, I think we can make some adjustment as well, I have forward this issue to the designer, hopefully we will have more thicker long sleeve jersey designs later. :)

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,658 Posts
Hi Barelfly, the CL1201,1202 is the early Autumn design, as the temperature is getting cold, I think these might be bit cold to wear. You can check the CL1205, This one is with thicker fabric, and for the side mesh fabric, I think we can make some adjustment as well, I have forward this issue to the designer, hopefully we will have more thicker long sleeve jersey designs later. :)
Many thanks to tlg for the honest and thought out reviews!

Do you have any bike shorts that aren't bibs? I don't wear bibs.

Reactions: Souke-Cycling

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,658 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,658 Posts
It's an error on their site. There's no option to filter just shorts.
If you hover on "Bottoms" the pulldown menu doesn't list them, only bibs. But if you click "Bottoms", you get everything.
Ahhh, got it.

I'm curious that S is your size as you are about the same height as me and only about 10lbs lighter. I'm 170lbs and while I have always been a M in the past even when I was 10lbs heavier, I have recently found that a L is more comfortable as it doesn't squeeze the area where the taint meets the thighs as much. That "squeeze" for lack of a better word for it was causing a rash which went away when I went to a L.

·
Registered
21,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahhh, got it.

I'm curious that S is your size as you are about the same height as me and only about 10lbs lighter. I'm 170lbs and while I have always been a M in the past even when I was 10lbs heavier, I have recently found that a L is more comfortable as it doesn't squeeze the area where the taint meets the thighs as much. That "squeeze" for lack of a better word for it was causing a rash which went away when I went to a L.
I think it's down to individual proportions (hips, thighs, waist).
As I mentioned, I prefer my shorts to fit tight. If they're not, I get bunching and chaffing in the area you're talking about.
I always seem to fall in-between sizes. And sizing down always worked better.

Ohh... I just looked at their shorts size guide. It's a little different than the bibs. Bibs have an XS size, shorts don't. So it appears the range is shifted one size. I'd probably be a M in the shorts.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,658 Posts
I think it's down to individual proportions (hips, thighs, waist).
Yup. I have "woman hips" and thick thighs in proportion to my skinny waist, LOL.

·
139 Posts

·
139 Posts

·
139 Posts
Damn, how is it I couldn't find these before? And with some color too! Time to buy myself a Christmas present.
We have the Black Friday Sales during Nov. 26~29th, 30% off on everything on our official website, so feel free to check out. :D

·
139 Posts
It's an error on their site. There's no option to filter just shorts.
If you hover on "Bottoms" the pulldown menu doesn't list them, only bibs. But if you click "Bottoms", you get everything.
Find for the cycling knickers or shorts section. :D will be fine, some of the link we didn't build well, we will improve. Thanks for sharing the issue with us!
By the way, we also have some cycling leggings , which is not bib type @Lombard you might be interested in during winter:

·
139 Posts
Yup. I have "woman hips" and thick thighs in proportion to my skinny waist, LOL.
The Cycling shorts and other stuff are standard EU sizes, unless our pro line jersey and bib shorts, so usually if you wear size S, you pick size S will be fine. However, you can also share with me your waist and hip, I can help with the size. :D

·
Registered
11,092 Posts
6' tall, 150 lbs, 33-in waist.

I wear a Med in all other brands of shorts...will that be the correct size for Souke shorts?

·
139 Posts
6' tall, 150 lbs, 33-in waist.

I wear a Med in all other brands of shorts...will that be the correct size for Souke shorts?
Hi Oxtox, I am glad you are interested in the products, for most of the cycling shorts, they are the standard size, S and M will be fine, S will be tighter and M will be comfortable tight for you, and for our BS1602, the size is smaller than other shorts for race fit, this one you might want size M or size L .
You can also start with our BS1606 to try out, it is the best seller bib shorts for its quality and price. :D

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,658 Posts
The Cycling shorts and other stuff are standard EU sizes, unless our pro line jersey and bib shorts, so usually if you wear size S, you pick size S will be fine. However, you can also share with me your waist and hip, I can help with the size. :D
Waist: 34"
Hips: 40"

1 - 20 of 36 Posts