Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
off the back
15,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone knows Runaway Train and the album that it came from, but their followup was tragically overlooked. A couple songs were a bit weak(Caged Rat was horrible), but overall, this was almost as strong an effort as Grave Dancers Union, with a bit more work it could have been as good or better,and should have made them huge.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Dayum, I saw them at Lakewood Amphitheater circa Runaway Train. Never heard any of there music after that though to be honest.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I saw them open up for the Pixies and they were LOUD. Probably the loudest concert I've ever attended, including garage bands playing at basement keg parties.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I will never forget seeing them at a First Avenue show where they were the warm up act and nobody knew who they were at the time. There were literally less than 10 people in the audience. David Pirner was thrashing on his guitar so hard that blood was splattered all over it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I always thought "Misery" was a good song... I don't usually buy albums for the "radio hit" song, but I did in this case.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
fsdork said:
I always thought "Misery" was a good song...
that song summed up a year in my life: frustrated incorporated. the video was slick, too.

i saw them play a street festival in chicago years after their popularity waned. i was surprised how well they played, along with the number of songs i remembered. when they played misery, i was all about it. frustrated incorporated indeed.

·
off the back
15,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fsdork said:
I always thought "Misery" was a good song... I don't usually buy albums for the "radio hit" song, but I did in this case.
I think it's a great song, and another one from that same album, I just decided not to post it. A lot of people bag on them for it though, and I don't understand why, it's got great lyrics.

Saw them open for Keith Richards once, and they were great. Have a bootleg of a club show they played earlier that day for a radio station broadcast, also. Bagged on the chance to see them in a small club in San Diego when I was out visiting my sister, cause I was too jetlagged, and wanted to sleep. Stupid me.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
Ah!

GearDaddy said:
I will never forget seeing them at a First Avenue show where they were the warm up act and nobody knew who they were at the time. There were literally less than 10 people in the audience. David Pirner was thrashing on his guitar so hard that blood was splattered all over it.
Was this back when they were "LoudFastRules"?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
aliensporebomb said:
Was this back when they were "LoudFastRules"?
No, they were definitely "Soul Asylum", and I had no idea who they were either. I think the year was '84, but I'm not sure. I believe the main act that night was "The Suburbs", which was a very good show that night.

·
yup
2,726 Posts
I was a big "horse they rode in on" fan. I have a good friend who stalks the lead singer. Dave Priner? She flies all over the country a few times a year just to see their shows. I feel guilty because I introduced her to them. :)

·
Heartless B*tch
231 Posts
That first album was my anthem when I ran away from the Midwest in '92 to pursue a life on the Gulf Coast LOL. Think my son was a little over a year old. Holy crap. That makes me feel SUPER old. I saw them at the Sokol in Omaha, but after that didn't hear anything. Thanks for the heads up. I am always looking for good music- not this trash and crap being played on the radio.

·
off the back
15,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
ToF said:
I was a big "horse they rode in on" fan. I have a good friend who stalks the lead singer. Dave Priner? She flies all over the country a few times a year just to see their shows. I feel guilty because I introduced her to them. :)
Wynona Ryder? :D

From that album. Sounds amazingly similar to Boston's Feeling Satisfied.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
GearDaddy said:
I saw them at First Ave in the mid-late 80s, and they still weren't packing the house like they would later on. They were much loader and scarier then. By the time Grave Dancer's Union came out they were dead to me...ya go pop like that and you'd better invest the profits wisely.

The other show I remember most at FA from that era was Ben Harper...opening for the Fugees...opening for Spearhead. We were the about only the two for Ben (who IS this guy he's pretty good!), and it was about a third full for the Fugees...my friend said, "that chick from the, who are they, um, the Fugees, she should be FAMOUS!!" lol: we didn't know her name was Lauryn Hill.

Spearhead turned out to be an afterthought.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts