Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2002 Record on my bike. It isn't as smooth as I think it should be. A little noisy.
Cable housing correct length and cables clean ... Yes
Followed R.derailer set up from book ... Yes
Chain line correct ... Yes
Chain length correct ... Yes
Know what I am doing ... I guess not
Cog/chain wear... Good condition(never dry)

When I first bought the group, a shop put it on another frame. It worked fantastic.
Bought a new frame,installed it all myself. Can't seem to get it right. I can tune Shimano with no problems. What am I missing? Some kind of Campy only trick? I have noticed the cable tension is a little higher when in the smallest cog and the barrell adjuster is more sensitive than on Shimano. Does that mean anything? How bout' me using 13-29? Does that make a diff? I could take it to a shop here in town,but none of them work with Campy much. Besides,I need to learn this myself. Right now,it shifts on the road fine, it's just a little noisey and shifts a little clunky at times. :confused:
Am I asking to much? If I can get my XTR running silent, why not the Record? HELP!!
Thanks.

towerscum

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
towerscum said:
I have 2002 Record on my bike. It isn't as smooth as I think it should be. A little noisy.
Cable housing correct length and cables clean ... Yes
Followed R.derailer set up from book ... Yes
Chain line correct ... Yes
Chain length correct ... Yes
Know what I am doing ... I guess not
Cog/chain wear... Good condition(never dry)

When I first bought the group, a shop put it on another frame. It worked fantastic.
Bought a new frame,installed it all myself. Can't seem to get it right. I can tune Shimano with no problems. What am I missing? Some kind of Campy only trick? I have noticed the cable tension is a little higher when in the smallest cog and the barrell adjuster is more sensitive than on Shimano. Does that mean anything? How bout' me using 13-29? Does that make a diff? I could take it to a shop here in town,but none of them work with Campy much. Besides,I need to learn this myself. Right now,it shifts on the road fine, it's just a little noisey and shifts a little clunky at times. :confused:
Am I asking to much? If I can get my XTR running silent, why not the Record? HELP!!
Thanks.

towerscum
campy always shifts more loudly than shimano. if the derailleur is shifting precisely, there's nothing to worry about. as for that cable tension thing you mentioned, I'm not sure what you mean, but it's most likely nothing. there are no secret campy tricks, you adjust it the same way you would shimano, with the limit screws and the tension adjusters.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts