Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got honked at twice on my way to work. This makes it five times in the last week. However it's not for the usual reasons. I'm being given the thumbs up :thumbsup: People are now viewing me as someone sticking it to the man as they say. I also have to mention the dozen or so people that have talked to me once I just get off my bike at my destinations that think it's great I'm riding a bike. Most people view it as a fight against oil, and few have mentioned the environmental aspects. This can probably easily explained because it's popular perception that the oil companys greed is the reason for high gas, and food amoung other things that are forced upon them, when as the environment is percieved more as a volentary obligation and doesn't directly affect there bottom line the same way they see themselves handing over more and more money for gas and food.

My story is simple. I just got tired of playing the automotive game.

Pay for a car (Principal and interest. That is expected, but the game starts when you make one late payment . . . can you now say credit report?)
Pay for consumables and maintanance; gas, oil, tires, filters, . . .
Paying the car mechanic; ( The other day I put a new alternator in my daughter's car. It cost me $170 and my time. Her estimate from a couple mechanics were over $600. I suspect $170 for the part, then they double that $340, then charge you that same amount for labor. $680.)

Then to participate in all this fun you have to.
Pay for insurance (It's the law, but as we all know a lot of people still drive without it, and then who gets to pay? . . . you.)
Pay for a driver's license.
Pay for license plates.

It's good to know that people may not be honking at me because in order to pass me they are now obligated to turn their steering wheel a little, potentially disturbing their phone conversation while they drive. But why did it take a hit to people's wallet to view me as a human being? Misery loves company I guess and now I'm representing that team. . . . there must be a word for what I'm trying to get at here . . . I changed by not changing . . . Why do I want to recieve accolades from the same people that would be honking at me if gas was $1.00 a gallon?

Yes it's all great news, but is it for the wrong reasons?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I figure I'm losing money by riding my bike to work. I still have to keep my truck, it gets used as a truck fairly often. So I still have to keep it registered and insured, and I do all the maintainence myself. Plus I bought a bike, parts, rack/panniers, lights and misc other small parts. I still have to buy tires and upkeep items for the bike. I never get honks on the way to work though, and only the occasional single finger wave. Most times people are too into talking on their phone or putting on make-up while driving to notice a cyclist. I do most of my errands on my bike also. I would not have it any other way though, I bike to work for the pleasure and exercise rather than any money savings.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
I was actually wondering about this the other day. I was honked at twice, and thought that maybe they aren't honking at me because they are pissed at me, but they are honking in encouragement. I would guess that if somebody were pissed at me, they would lay on the horn, but these were just short little honks, and one was followed by a scream of encouragement.

I wonder how many of us mistake honks by good intentioned drivers as bad honks.

·
Administrator
13,146 Posts
Noticed drivers seem alot more accepting of riders now. Also noticed way more bike commuters now too.

:)

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
I got honked at twice while riding back from the grocery store in the rain around 5:30 a few nights ago. I assumed that it was irate drivers who were upset that I was taking more of the lane (since I was avoiding the paint), but maybe they were encouraging honks. I never thought of it like that.

It is a little sad that it has taken high gas prices for many drivers to acknowledge us as cyclists, but at least they're seeing us now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.