Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago, Joe Daddio posted a link to a video taken at Antwerp's Central Train station that had Do-Re-Mi from The Sound of Music as it audio background. http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=169244 When I was growing up, tunes from Broadway musicals always seemed to be on the Hi-Fi Stereo at home and the radio in my father's car always seemed to be tuned to stations that played Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby and the like. No Classical, no Jazz, no Rock-n-Roll. Even though it was the 1960s, my household was in a 1940s/pre-rock 1950s time warp until my sister and I were old enough to have some say in the music being played. What was playing in the background before you were old enough to take control of the music being played at home?

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
My parents weren't hip enough to play even swing jazz, although my dad often talked of liking Benny Goodman and Duke Ellington. Consequently, our background sounds consisted of classical music, which pretty much bored us as kids.

When my older brother finally got his own radio, we'd listen to 60's/70's rock. And that bugged my dad to no end! Still does!

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Broadway musicals like Fiddler on the Roof, Godspell. Gershwin, Roberta Flack, Barbra Streisand, classical. My mom also had a huge collection of Nat King Cole and stuff of that genre.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
in the house -- classical and gospel. Maybe a little big band.

Out of the house with my dad..... no audio but the farm report, for maybe 30 minutes. After that, just the sound of cattle. and tractors.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
My earliest memories are of my mother ironing clothes to "Downtown" by Petula Clark and Georgy Girl by the Seekers. I can still see her in the kitchen with the radio playing. I can't help but smile thinking about it.

Whenever I hear that crappy song "Knock Three Times" by Tony Orlando I think of when my father took me and my brother from my mother when they divorced. It was probably #1 at the time. Not a good memory.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
JustTooBig said:
in the house -- classical and gospel.

Out of the house with my dad..... no audio but the farm report, for maybe 30 minutes. After that, just the sound of cattle. and tractors.
Ahh..the old farm report. I really don't miss that at all. And then they always had some local announcements about church socials and what other great events were happening around town (usually not much). The radio stations I could get always seemed to be about 15-20 years behind the times. I used to tune in WLS AM radio from Chicago on clear nights to hear songs that were actually popular the same time period as when I listened.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
we had everything spinning on large black platters from the album of MASH: The Motion PIcture to the white album.
our folks bought my older sister a red plastic fisher price record player which we used to play all the disney movie albums. free to be you and me was in heavy rotation. as was captain kangaroo. (in fact, saturday WOOT had a 4 record set of a 1974 pressing of all the disney stuff. it included songs from the rides and song of the south cuts.. we had those albums. i was gonna get it for my sister, but for some reason couldnt pull the trigger. i have non-buyers remorse.)

the first record i bought was the pac-man fever 45.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VaughnA said:
My earliest memories are of my mother ironing clothes to "Downtown" by Petula Clark and Georgy Girl by the Seekers. I can still see her in the kitchen with the radio playing. I can't help but smile thinking about it.
Your house sounds like my aunt's house. Aunt F was about 10 years younger than my parents. The soundtrack at her house was a little more "modern" than my parents -- pre-Beatles, early 1960s music with some post-Beatles non-rock like Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mbaha said:
when I was kid we were so poor we didn't even have sound!
Was everything in Black and White, too?

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
My dad was mostly into classical music, and some folk music. Peter, Paul, & Mary, The Kingston Trio, that kind of stuff. He also had a few Jim Croce albums. I loved Jim Croce. Still do. I never really like Peter, Paul, & Mary. We saw the Kingston Trio perform once at the San Diego Wild Animal Park, and they were pretty good.

My mom wasn't much into music, but she had a few John Denver albums. I still like John Denver.

There were a few Bobbie Gentry albums, with Glen Campbell. I don't recall ever hearing the Bobbie Gentry, but I remember Glen Campbell. I don't know which parent was behind these albums.

And of course, we had the Herb Albert Whipped Cream album. Greatest album cover ever.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
MarkS said:
Was everything in Black and White, too?
worse...audio only

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
MarkS said:
Your house sounds like my aunt's house. Aunt F was about 10 years younger than my parents. The soundtrack at her house was a little more "modern" than my parents -- pre-Beatles, early 1960s music with some post-Beatles non-rock like Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.
Yeah, my aunt was 4-6 years younger than my mom and she had great records: Beatles, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, etc. Then she got into country music after the Urban Cowboy thing hit. By then, I was buying my own albums.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
mbaha said:
Just black, I saved up all summer but still couldn't afford white, a did get 2 shades of gray though.
racist. :D

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Ahh..the old farm report. I really don't miss that at all. And then they always had some local announcements about church socials and what other great events were happening around town (usually not much). The radio stations I could get always seemed to be about 15-20 years behind the times. I used to tune in WLS AM radio from Chicago on clear nights to hear songs that were actually popular the same time period as when I listened.
yep, that radio sukked, huh? KRVN (Lexington, NE) had the farm reports and advertisements from every auction barn and farm implement company within 120 miles. The highlight of the broadcast day was Paul Harvey at noon (along with an updated farm report, of course).

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mohair_chair said:
My dad was mostly into classical music, and some folk music. Peter, Paul, & Mary, The Kingston Trio, that kind of stuff. He also had a few Jim Croce albums. I loved Jim Croce. Still do. . . .

My mom wasn't much into music, but she had a few John Denver albums. I still like John Denver.
As much as I may make fun of my parents' musical selections, those early sound memories do have a way of imprinting one's taste. Although I am embarassed to admit it, I still like the soundtracks from Rogers and Hammerstein musicals, such as the King and I and The Sound of Music and Lerner and Loewe's Camelot and My Fair Lady.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts