Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Squirty!

Votes: 11 78.6%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm only supposed to be consuming clear liquids, Lovely Spouse has made me some chicken noodle with extra broth. I slurp the broth and test my will to not eat the noodles.

Since I also believe in Family Togetherness, I have declared that if I don't eat, nobody eats. So now Lovely Spouse gets all in a twist and tells me "you had soup!"

Besides the obvious factual error (I had broth), she seems to equate soup with food.

Every right-thinking person knows that soup is not food. It is an appetizer.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Soup Is Good Food.

The glowing box told me so.

Broth is a component, not a soup. Let her 'eat' coffee.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
soup goes WITH food

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Soup is food - I lived on it for two months.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
kykr13 said:
Worked pretty well for me - I've eaten gallons of the stuff in the last year.
with a spork?

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Some soups are food most are not. I'm not a big soup fan but my wife is doing a good job in converting me with her last few concoctions.

Campbells chicken Noodle: Without extra water, food. Per Instructions, not food.
Tomato: Never food

·
Registered
778 Posts
There was a Seinfeld episode about this. Jerry got a suit from Banya (sp?) and would pay him by taking him out for a nice meal. Banya ordered soup and then said that it didn't count as his meal since it was just soup. Conflict and hilarity ensued.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
In Chinese, you don't eat soup, you drink soup. Ni bu chi geng, ni he geng.

So therefore it's a beverage, not food.

Remind Lovely Spouse that divorced mothers often end up below the poverty line and while you're at it, remind the kids that at military school everyone goes to bed at sunset.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Campbells soup....never food, sorry.

I have been either eating my own cooking or my wifes for almost 40 years now and I can honestly say since that point in life I have never bought or been on the receiving end of a can of any kind of soup. Chicken soup ALWAYS starts with a roasted chicken.

ANY time my kids , my wife or myself has been sick someone makes chicken soup. That's just the way it is. We always have a "bucket" of frozen broth in the freezer. That and a kiss on the forehead fills most germs.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
A year ago last January I started having soup for lunch at work most days (four or five days a week including summer). Mostly it's vegetarian but it's always homemade. I make a big batch on the weekend and rotate it with what else I have in the freezer so I don't eat the same thing every day, last week was red lentil curry and black bean. With this, an apple and usually some crackers (lately homemade whole grain - yes I'm a bit obsessive).

PS - I lost weight over the winter... :D

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
o/0 said:
Vodka is a clear liquid, fwiw.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Get a fruit infused one and you've got yer vitamins......

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Food - and good to boot. I always have an argument with my wife because she doesn't make her soup "brothy" enough. Most of her soups, whether intended or not, end up more like porridge. Some need to be that way, like pea soup (yum!) but some need to be more brothy, like chicken noodle. Soups have an incredible variety of forms and flavors which makes them a GREAT food.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
TACSTS said:
There was a Seinfeld episode about this. Jerry got a suit from Banya (sp?) and would pay him by taking him out for a nice meal. Banya ordered soup and then said that it didn't count as his meal since it was just soup. Conflict and hilarity ensued.
I remember that... then didn't he take him out to lunch and Banya (sp???) tried to claim that didn't count either?

Also reminds me of the episode where George buys Elaine a big salad and his gf gives it to her and says it was from them... George's need to be thanked takes over and more hilarity ensues.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
If you can't eat it with a knife and fork, then it isn't food.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.