Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Langster and it came with 48 x 16 free. Want to ride it fixed, it has the lockring already. Waaay too hilly here for me to use the 48 (will work fine for the track, however). Would like to go with a 42 up front. Can't find these in 1/8" 130mm. Can I use my old road 3/32" ring, or will that cause too much chain slop? Guess there's not much call for a 42 'granny' track ring, huh? Don't tell me, check with Sheldon....

thanks,
hrv

·
Registered
19 Posts
you can use a 3/32" ring with a 1/8" chain

or you can buy a bigger cog.

or you can buy a 3/32" cog and chain to go with your 3/32" 42t ring.

hrv said:
Just got my Langster and it came with 48 x 16 free. Want to ride it fixed, it has the lockring already. Waaay too hilly here for me to use the 48 (will work fine for the track, however). Would like to go with a 42 up front. Can't find these in 1/8" 130mm. Can I use my old road 3/32" ring, or will that cause too much chain slop? Guess there's not much call for a 42 'granny' track ring, huh? Don't tell me, check with Sheldon....

thanks,
hrv

·
Registered
84 Posts
Email Sheldon...

...if you cannot get one locally or if your LBS charges a bunch for special orders...He had some 1/8 x 130 x 42 NOS rings in stock a year or so ago, IIRC. Also had 44s...

He's also got 1/8th cogs up to 20+T, though I'd recommend staying at 18T or below as to keep too much torque off the rear hub threads...especially if you're rough on skids...

FYI, I've found that an all 1/8th or all 3/32nd drivetrain is much quieter than a mixed one. Running mixed isn't a big deal, but running all same size stuff really seems quieter.

PH

·
Registered
77 Posts
Miche Rings-

Pretty sure these are 130bcd and available in 1/8th. I think they go as low as 42t as well....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts