Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a good source for shoe cleat shim material?

What I'm looking for is a flat sheet of "???" that is about 1 mm thick, light, doen't compress and easy to cut. I have some LeWedge's and they work fine for fixing alignment issues but are a bit pricy when used for a simple lift.

Mike

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
rubicon_nm said:

What I'm looking for is a flat sheet of "???" that is about 1 mm thick, light, doen't compress and easy to cut. I have some LeWedge's and they work fine for fixing alignment issues but are a bit pricy when used for a simple lift.

Mike
What sort of pedals do you use? I have a bunch of LeWedges laying around. I'd be glad to send 'em to you.

·
Registered
21,674 Posts
Sheet stock

rubicon_nm said:
A good hardware store would have aluminum sheet stock in different thicknesses that you could easily cut to shape and shave to thickness if required. Alternatively you could use ABS or polycarbonate sheet, or maybe even rigid PVC. A plastics supplier that sells retail might be listed in your phone book, or maybe you could find a wholesaler who would tell you where to get the stuff retail. Arts & Crafts stores might be a source.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alienator, thanks for the offer but I would like to find an alternative source for shims. I need about a 1 cm stack. That would be a lot of LeWedge's.

Kerry, I found some sheet styrene at a hobby store but I'm worried it will compress. If it does I'll try a local plastics suppler.

thanks for the replies
Mike

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
rubicon_nm said:
alienator, thanks for the offer but I would like to find an alternative source for shims. I need about a 1 cm stack. That would be a lot of LeWedge's.

Kerry, I found some sheet styrene at a hobby store but I'm worried it will compress. If it does I'll try a local plastics suppler.

thanks for the replies
Mike
I don't know if they have exactly what you're after, but McMaster-Carr is a good bet. They've got sheet and bar stock (and film up to 1/4", I think) of just about any plastic you want. You may have to buy more than you need, but probably not a LOT more. Note that a lot of high-performance plastics are really expensive.

Keep in mind that if you find a bar that's the right cross-sectional dimensions, you can cut 1 cm off it--you don't need to find a 1 cm thick sheet and cookie-cutter out the piece you want.

www.mcmaster.com

·
Registered
21,674 Posts
Sheet styrene

rubicon_nm said:
I found some sheet styrene at a hobby store but I'm worried it will compress.
Well styrene is a liquid, so I assume you mean polystyrene. Unless it's foam, it won't compress, but depending on the formulation, it can be very brittle. If it is white, then it might be impact polystyrene (modified with rubber to make it tough) and that might work. If it is clear (regardless of color) then it is probably too brittle to work in this application.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Well styrene is a liquid, so I assume you mean polystyrene. Unless it's foam, it won't compress, but depending on the formulation, it can be very brittle. If it is white, then it might be impact polystyrene (modified with rubber to make it tough) and that might work. If it is clear (regardless of color) then it is probably too brittle to work in this application.
The package says sheet styrene. Its white. The intended use is for scale models. It comes in different thinknesses. I picked up 1mm. It's pretty flexable but it's going to snap before it bends.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts