Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing the light at the end of my renovation tunnel--and I'm thinking bike restoration...

Can anyone recommend a source for good quality vintage or vintage-look tubular rims 36h.

I'd like to get 2 pair, if they were at the right price....

Cheers,
dean

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
paredown said:
I'm seeing the light at the end of my renovation tunnel--and I'm thinking bike restoration...

Can anyone recommend a source for good quality vintage or vintage-look tubular rims 36h.

Cheers,
dean
Ebay. seriously- you can get great, NOS stuff on the bay that no one else will bother selling you.

·
E Plurbus Elvis
1,055 Posts
paredown said:

Cheers,
dean
I've got a pair of Mavic GP4s, 36h, never glued, never laced, circa 1986. How much were you thinking of spending?

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
buck-50 said:
Ebay. seriously- you can get great, NOS stuff on the bay that no one else will bother selling you.
+1...and tubulars aren't in as high of demand as clinchers so the price will likely be right..

check both of these catagories

Home > Buy > Sporting Goods > Outdoor Sports > Cycling > Bicycle Parts > Road Bike Parts > Rims & Hubs>

Home > Buy > Sporting Goods > Outdoor Sports > Cycling > Vintage>

·
Registered
14 Posts
You shouldn't have too many problems finding tubular rims.

I got a real nice set of NOS Nisi rims, with washers, for $36 + shipping. Nice deal. Two years ago.

Finding the hubs you want will probably be harder.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably should have been more specific--looking for something a little more 70s vintage, so I'll pass on the GP4s.

Dave, thanks for reminding me to search more broadly on eBay--I haven't spotted anything yet, but I just started.

As far as hubs, I had a rare bit of good fortune as we packed up our last (as yet unsold) house. We were taking a load of odds and ends to the Salvation Army, and someone else just dropped off three (!) Campy wheels--a matched pair of small flange Nuovo Record (flat QR) and another small flange front with the curved QR--all tubular rims. Untouched since the seventies by the look of it (but need new rims since there are signs of stress fractures at the spoke heads). I paid $10 for the lot, & they thought that was a good deal.

Into the moving Pod they went!

(this may have been one of the few fond memories that I'll take away from our time in Arkansas)

·
Registered
272 Posts
While you're at it, search Craig's List, not just in your area either. I've found some extraordinarily great deals from Craig's List.

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
I noticed THESE the other day and was tempted, but have too many projects as it is. The high flange Record hubs are worth the BIN price by themselves IMHO.

Not mine.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
paredown said:

Cheers,
dean
We might have something laying about the shop. We've got a lot of NOS tubular rims but mostly '80's stuff. I'll check tomorrow and get back to you.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Ya gotta get em where you find em. I have a stack roughly 12" deep of a mix of Mavic and Campy tubular rims for racing track and cross.

Mostly found on ebay and CL. Mostly cheep. I had one pair of NOS GL330s that I never did end up using, so I put em back on ebay and sold em for more'n I paid for em!

M

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
paredown said:

Cheers,
dean
Dean,

I checked. We have a couple of French A.V.A. rims. 36o and silver but they are a "low-end" rim and pretty "shopworn."

Ton of GP4's, but you already nixed that.

Good luck.

Richard

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for the input, & a special thanks, Richard for taking a look at the shop.

TooMany PM'd me about some Fiamme red labels (like re-meeting old friends, seeing those decals)--I may bid on those.

First project may be a beater Colnago pimp-mobile--I've got some bits coming!:thumbsup:

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
Check with Yellow Jersey in Madison, WI -- they advertise lots of rare Italian tubular rims on their website.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
i have a used pair of Competition Record du Mondes. not in bad shape, but definitely used. would probably polish up nicely though.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the offers--but I'm trying for a set of NOS...

I've got the original used rims on my Falcon for backups, & I'm trying to do one set for show.

Cheers,
Dean

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't forget to also check craigs while you're at it.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
You can try Nigel in the UK. http://www.campyoldy.co.uk/stocklist.htm

His prices can be high. Otherwise, if you're not in a huge hurry, watch patiently on eBay and hope for a score. Sometimes you get lucky and snag a pair of NOS Nisi's like that one poster. Or lose by a dollar and wait months for the next good deal to come along.

Not to rub it in, but I've got a pair of Super Champion Competitions and Fiamme Red Labels. Brand spankin new...but not for sale.

·
l'illustre sconosciuto
321 Posts
I have a couple sets of NOS Fiamme Ergal rims, some NOS Mavic SSC silver (the original ones from the 70's supplied to the top teams only and not sold in shops), some NOS Mavic SSC dark anodized from the 80's and some NOS Mavic Champion du Monde de l'Heure. They are all high end rims which are likely a bit more costly that you expect to pay and somewhat more difficult to find, so don't expect to get them cheap as I would then rather keep them for my own future personal use than sell them too cheaply. PM me if you are interested.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts