Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
My sister, who's into this, sent me sourdough starter. Apparently, if starter is dried it will keep indefinitely. She's gotten good results.

I've begun reviving it. With the exception of injera that never really worked, this will be my first experience with sourdough.

Putting your sourdough starter on hold - Flourish - King Arthur Flour

View attachment 317786

View attachment 317787

View attachment 317792
Good luck. I have grown and kept sourdough many times, typically through winters only to lose them to my lack of baking in the warmer months. You don't need a starter, you can get one going pretty easily... and it will be your own local yeast. Let us know how it goes! I absolutely love making artisan breeds from flour and a pinch of salt. The mother gets more and more predictable as she ages and gets used and refreshed. I am a huge fan of artisanal breads, but be advised, most people are not. They want light and fast raised breads like modern baguettes. I like them too. But the art is with a bread that uses time and temperature to create its character, flavor and texture. If it matters to you, this traditional baking method lowers The glycemic index appreciably and increases keeping. You can get 3-5 days easily and be very satisfied, even a week if you build the bread very slowly. It will last as long as it takes you to make it.

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
Read "Cooked", Michael Pollan.....awesome

1 - 3 of 3 Posts