Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The South Dakota state legislature is doing a bad thing.
It is trying to change the laws on how a bicycle is defined.
House Bill 1190 , for the sake of drunks, is going to excluded bicycles as a vehicle.
This Non-vehicle designation may hurt the rights of cyclists who use the road.
In a nutshell it states that if your drunk on a ridden animal, or a bicycle, you won't get a DWI or DUI, but a ticket for public indecency.
To me , this is wrong as it gives drunks rights to be out on in public , and endangering others.
Hopefully your local , state or national laws never try this.
More info here.

http://spoke-n-sport.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=201

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
While I would not object to excluding bikes and horses from the DWI/DUI laws, excluding bikes from being vehicles under the law is the wrong way to do so. If cyclists do not have the same rights as other vehicles, then they could be excluded from public roads.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Not necessarily a bad thing. I have not reviewed the S.D. laws, but perhaps it was intended to include bikes within the definition of pedestrian (vs. a vehicle). This might help people who are hit by cars in terms of, e.g., extending insurance coverage for injuries. Just a thought. Hard to say without further review.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
maybe it's so that Janklow can kill some unpowered cyclists, too, and then claim they weren't actually vehicles worthy of the road.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Argentius said:
maybe it's so that Janklow can kill some unpowered cyclists, too, and then claim they weren't actually vehicles worthy of the road.
Or maybe Janklow will start to ride a bike so he can blow through intersections with one hand giving a gesture to the cops and another with a half done bottle of Jim Beam Black.

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
This may fall under the road to hell being paved with good intentions. Maybe their intent is to reduce riding a bike or horse drunk from felony to misdemeanor to prevent jailtime and reduce cost to courts and people who are stupid enough to ride non-motorized things loaded. Granted it's still stupid but arguably not as stupid as riding something that weighs 4000 pounds and goes 80mph. If it is used in the future to remove bikes from the road that would obviously be bad for us. Hope it fails regardless of intent.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I had a similar thought

Argentius said:
Janklow had his licensed pulled and can't drive a car anymore so he's riding a bike and his buddies realizied he could still be jailed for operating a vehicle while impaired.

(Just wild conjecture on my part, not to be taken seriously)

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
this is absolutely retarded... every state treats cyclists poorly... over here it is the same...

we're forced onto the left sholder, and there isn't a paved surface in sight, broken road, bad patches, gutters and drains... to top it off, just about every major arterial has no marked bike lane...

now i'm beginning to understand why we need a "critical mass"..

·
Banned
349 Posts
wankski said:
this is absolutely retarded... every state treats cyclists poorly... over here it is the same...

we're forced onto the left sholder, and there isn't a paved surface in sight, broken road, bad patches, gutters and drains... to top it off, just about every major arterial has no marked bike lane...

now i'm beginning to understand why we need a "critical mass"..
Over where ??? -- So I can put it on my list of places not to visit.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
melbourne, australia...

oh don't get me wrong.. the "mum and dad" recreational places like the beaches are wonderful. The CBD also has good bike-lanes. In fact, the CBD is great, has nice trails out to the river ands such... The problem is these are mostly recreational paths..

Any thought of actually using your bike to commute anywhere on equal terms with motor vechiles, esp. out to the suburbs is an exercise in wishful thinking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts