Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long term plan, not sooner than 15 years, is to move someplace warm, hopefully on the ocean shore or very near it, likely in the continental US. The entire West coast is out, as is likely Texas. Gulf of Mexico is a slim possibility, not worth exploring in this question. For those who live and do road cycling, maybe racing, or have experienced it from North of the Miami and connected sprawl area, as far as North Carolina, where can one find good 2 hour cycling rides and a decent cycling experience? I can live with flat and wind, but would love to have some variety and even a little rolling terrain. I can also live with needing to drive inland up to about 30 minutes to start and finish rides, but would be planning on living very close to shore. Yes, I want it all in an area that might not have it...any help???

·
Registered
572 Posts
Don't take this wrong. There are some fabulous areas for road cycling with rolling hills and mountain passes in the South East, and largely why I relocated to the region a number of years ago. But rolling terrain within 30 or even 60 minute drive of the ocean - beyond bridge, overpasses or parking garages? Good luck finding that. I suppose you don't want to face the threat of hurricanes either. You might want to spend a vacation or two exploring around the SE, including driving inland a bit, to figure out what works best for you and your priorities - perhaps in July/Aug so you can get a full appreciation of "warm".

·
Opus was just napping
21,498 Posts
In 15 years? Who knows, back in college we used to ride from Raleigh to Chapel Hill using Hillsborough St to 15/501 and never saw cars. Try that now and you wouldn't make 15 feet.

What might be good cycling now might be a no go by the time you head south. I used to have a 7 mile circuit loop at a place that is now Crossroads Mall in Cary. Knew the guy that owned much of that property it expanded into, he said he bought the land decades before for their retirement and never thought that it wouldn't be out in the country by the time he decided to retire.

North Carolina in general is growing...a lot.

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't take this wrong. There are some fabulous areas for road cycling with rolling hills and mountain passes in the South East, and largely why I relocated to the region a number of years ago. But rolling terrain within 30 or even 60 minute drive of the ocean - beyond bridge, overpasses or parking garages? Good luck finding that. I suppose you don't want to face the threat of hurricanes either. You might want to spend a vacation or two exploring around the SE, including driving inland a bit, to figure out what works best for you and your priorities - perhaps in July/Aug so you can get a full appreciation of "warm".
Thanks for the info. We do travel, especially to FL with a bit of regularity, and are heading to Daytona in 2 weeks. We're actually really hopeful that we can enjoy some hurricanes...but seriously, that's why I asked, to get some insight into the parts we don't know from the surface. So thank you for those parts, and I can't say I'm too surprised just from what I've seen first hand or tried mapping out so far. Really, any routes with the least interruption from traffic, stop lights/signs, etc would be good enough.

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In 15 years? Who knows, back in college we used to ride from Raleigh to Chapel Hill using Hillsborough St to 15/501 and never saw cars. Try that now and you wouldn't make 15 feet.

What might be good cycling now might be a no go by the time you head south. I used to have a 7 mile circuit loop at a place that is now Crossroads Mall in Cary. Knew the guy that owned much of that property it expanded into, he said he bought the land decades before for their retirement and never thought that it wouldn't be out in the country by the time he decided to retire.

North Carolina in general is growing...a lot.
I was hoping for a possible up side to that concept, that 15v years could see a lot of changes. I know trail making has been going on, at least in FL, so hopefully that continues, but like you said, open roads now can get car choked pretty badly in that kind of timeframe.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I was hoping for a possible up side to that concept, that 15v years could see a lot of changes. I know trail making has been going on, at least in FL, so hopefully that continues, but like you said, open roads now can get car choked pretty badly in that kind of timeframe.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I have the terrain next to the ocean but not the weather. I’m on the Jersey Shore right next to the highest point on the eastern seaboard. I can get 2K climbing easily on a 20ish mile ride with plenty of flat ocean miles built in. Granted, it is in no way mountains! We have lots of shorter but very steep climbs. We also have people, and cars... But it’s mostly very good infrastructure for cycling if you plan well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: kmunny19
1 - 6 of 6 Posts