Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
phx,az
me and that surlyeti guy have a regular thu ride.
we ride to work and then meet-up after work to ride more.
lately the rides have been going long.
up at 5am to ride to work
work
start riding again at 3pm
back home around midnight.
good times.
this week we decided to pay a visit to south mtn
and then over to tempe for dinner and libations
then back home.
i'm beat

·
Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well we also took along a friend who just moved to the valley and only has his dean mtb so that slowed the pace a bit along with some roadside repairs.
but i like spending all those hours in the saddle and an hour or two out of it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Fantastic photos guys, and great shot of the rattler! I haven't been that close to one in 5 years in the valley. Have no aspirations to either.

One question: What route did you take from downtown to south mountain? I'm moving to 24th St and Southern and looking for a commuter route from there to Dreamy Draw. One that would allow me to return home to the wife and kid without becoming a hood ornament.

·
Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
swimbikerun75 said:
Fantastic photos guys, and great shot of the rattler! I haven't been that close to one in 5 years in the valley. Have no aspirations to either.

One question: What route did you take from downtown to south mountain? I'm moving to 24th St and Southern and looking for a commuter route from there to Dreamy Draw. One that would allow me to return home to the wife and kid without becoming a hood ornament.
our route was straight up central - not ideal.
I got a tip that 7th ave is the way to go and will be checking that out next time.
i think if you ride one of the canals to 7th ave and link that over to the path on the east side of the 51 or 3rd ave to maryland would likely work.
saw another rattler MUCH closer on Sat during our Mtb ride on South Mtn. Almost needed a change of shorts...
the map in case you don't have it
http://www.mag.maricopa.gov/detail.cms?item=4643

·
Registered
120 Posts
7th Avenue doesn't look so hot. 23rd Avenue maybe. I think I just need to do some recon and ride the sidewalk when times get tough. Of course, some of those areas you need to worry about things other than cars.

·
Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
swimbikerun75 said:
7th Avenue doesn't look so hot. 23rd Avenue maybe. I think I just need to do some recon and ride the sidewalk when times get tough. Of course, some of those areas you need to worry about things other than cars.
sorry, i meant 7th St (i'm having a day dyslexic).
23rd starts (or ends) at Grand Ave.
If I were you I'd try out 7th St to Washignton to 3rd Ave to Maryland
or 7th St to Oak St to the path on the east side of the 51

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.