Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
thien™
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To keep the momentum of RoadBikeReview rides going, we're announcing today a second ride in April! Sunday April 13th, we're going to be riding a lil further south!

Officially it's the RoadBikeReview.com April 13th Ride Sponsored by Silicon Valley Cycling Center

We'll be starting from the Silicon Valley Cycling Center located in Campbell, we'll be rolling out at 9am. Karl from SVCC will have his studio open, should anyone need any last minute gels, bars, etc.

Ride is still a no drop, casual pace, get to know other members ride! :)

Here's a quick rundown of the route...

Starting on Winchester heading south
Left on Lark
Right on Los Gatos
Left on Los Gatos Almaden
Right on Harwood
Left on Almond Blossom
Right on Camden
Right on Almaden (Almaden becomes McKean)
Right on Uvas
Left on Watsonville
Left on Sycamore
Left on Oak Glen
Right on Willow Springs
Left on Santa Teresa
Left on Bailey
Right on McKean
Then backtrack Almaden/Camden/etc.

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
I whipped this Google maps version of it up just so I could see where it was going:

Ok, that's a little much. Here's a shorter version (of the url): http://tinyurl.com/3d4xn4

Just under 61 miles - looks like the SB folks are expected to have more endurance (or maybe do less partying).

·
Registered
22 Posts
sweet, I was hoping to meet some of you on the 6th, but family obligations will keep me in SF all day. Now I get a second chance. I'll make this one for sure.

Hey Tien,

I bought a blue NorCal jersey from you awhile back. Didn't know you were a moderator here. See you in a few weeks. Unless you plan on coming to some of the rides on the "other" NorCal forum.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Apr 13 South Bay ride

Hi everyone

Wanted to post a few additional notes on the ride. Thanks to Thien & Francois for letting us host the ride and we hope to see many of you out on the 13th.

Route: Ok I guess the Etzel eyeball estimator was off, 61 miles is further than I thought but it will be fun. I wanted to have us go far enough south that we get a good loop with folks who may come up from Morgan Hill or Gilroy to join us.

My thought is we'll try to keep everyone together until the left turn onto Santa Teresa. Then we'll have a drag race, Canada style, heading north then a KOM on Bailey. We'll regroup at Calero for the cruise back into town. If folks come up from the south & want to start/end at Calero that should accommodate them as well.

And for those of you really hard core, wait til you see the route we are cooking up for later in the summer - MOOOOAAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAAA :eek:

Goodies: We'll have Hammer Nutrition ride packs (2 gels, 1 bar, 1 pack of Heed and a sample pack of Endurolytes) handy and the first 10 riders to show up get them FREE. Everyone else can purchase at $5 flat rate (we'll pay tax to keep the math simple). That's about a 40% discount.

We'll also have coffee from our partners at 53x11and race videos rolling to get you amped before the ride.

Other questions? I'll do my best to answer.

Cheers,

·
Registered
239 Posts
ride

Our plan is to make this a regular thing, if we get positive response, so there will be more opportunities.

Good point rensho on the route - let' hear from more folks on the shorter ride option. Certainly open to doing that if there is clear consensus for it although that loop around Uvas is really sweet.

·
Registered
239 Posts
no creek trail

mohair_chair said:
Why not just take the Los Gatos Creek Trail to Lark? It's shorter, quicker, and safer than getting on Winchester.
If we get even 1/3 of the attendance of the last ride, that'll be a group of 20 on the trail on a Sunday morning with (hopefully) nice weather. We ride the trail to Blossom Hill on weekdays for our lunch outings and even then the absent minded foot/dog walker/babystroller traffic is bad enough. Bike trails I avoid like the plague on nice weekends. If it's 40 and raining, maybe :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with Karl. The creek trail can be tricky with weekend traffic. Besides, that part of Winchester is not bad at all especially on Sundays. Even the overpass at 85 has a wide shoulder.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I'm completely unfamiliar with the route. The distance is fine with me. What kind of climbing is involved? I'm considering coming along for it and need to know whether to bring my double- or compact double-equipped bike.

·
Registered
239 Posts
route

The route is very undulating but most of the hills are less than a km long and not very steep. The hardest climbs are Bailey & Willow Springs and they are both probably 5-10 minute efforts, not even as half as hard as say Old La Honda. More like Arastradero times 2. Bailey is right before the regroup point at Calero on the way back. You can certainly get by without a compact.

I was out there yesterday (it was GORGEOUS) and the real pain is the headwind coming back up Hale/Santa Teresa. Put yer nose on the stem...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.