Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Apr 13 South Bay ride

Hi everyone

Wanted to post a few additional notes on the ride. Thanks to Thien & Francois for letting us host the ride and we hope to see many of you out on the 13th.

Route: Ok I guess the Etzel eyeball estimator was off, 61 miles is further than I thought but it will be fun. I wanted to have us go far enough south that we get a good loop with folks who may come up from Morgan Hill or Gilroy to join us.

My thought is we'll try to keep everyone together until the left turn onto Santa Teresa. Then we'll have a drag race, Canada style, heading north then a KOM on Bailey. We'll regroup at Calero for the cruise back into town. If folks come up from the south & want to start/end at Calero that should accommodate them as well.

And for those of you really hard core, wait til you see the route we are cooking up for later in the summer - MOOOOAAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAAA :eek:

Goodies: We'll have Hammer Nutrition ride packs (2 gels, 1 bar, 1 pack of Heed and a sample pack of Endurolytes) handy and the first 10 riders to show up get them FREE. Everyone else can purchase at $5 flat rate (we'll pay tax to keep the math simple). That's about a 40% discount.

We'll also have coffee from our partners at 53x11and race videos rolling to get you amped before the ride.

Other questions? I'll do my best to answer.

Cheers,

·
Registered
239 Posts
ride

Our plan is to make this a regular thing, if we get positive response, so there will be more opportunities.

Good point rensho on the route - let' hear from more folks on the shorter ride option. Certainly open to doing that if there is clear consensus for it although that loop around Uvas is really sweet.

·
Registered
239 Posts
no creek trail

mohair_chair said:
Why not just take the Los Gatos Creek Trail to Lark? It's shorter, quicker, and safer than getting on Winchester.
If we get even 1/3 of the attendance of the last ride, that'll be a group of 20 on the trail on a Sunday morning with (hopefully) nice weather. We ride the trail to Blossom Hill on weekdays for our lunch outings and even then the absent minded foot/dog walker/babystroller traffic is bad enough. Bike trails I avoid like the plague on nice weekends. If it's 40 and raining, maybe :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
route

The route is very undulating but most of the hills are less than a km long and not very steep. The hardest climbs are Bailey & Willow Springs and they are both probably 5-10 minute efforts, not even as half as hard as say Old La Honda. More like Arastradero times 2. Bailey is right before the regroup point at Calero on the way back. You can certainly get by without a compact.

I was out there yesterday (it was GORGEOUS) and the real pain is the headwind coming back up Hale/Santa Teresa. Put yer nose on the stem...

·
Registered
239 Posts
a few more ride details

Hi everyone

Wanted to share a few more details on the ride based on some feedback we've collected so far, I hope you are getting as stoked as I am...

Ride distance: Several folks gave Alex comments on ride distance at last Sunday's ride so this is what we'll do - we'll take the advice rensho offered below and have a shorter ride option that skips the loop around Uvas/Sycamore and goes over Oak Glen/Willow Springs back to Santa Teresa. This shorter ride would be about 45 miles. We'll still have the long (61 mile) option as well.

Regroup points: As mentioned in original post we'll have a late regroup point at Calero reservoir on the way back into town. In light of the above note on short ride option, we'll also have a regroup point on the way out at the Uvas/Oak Glen junction where you can decide whether to go long or short. Either Alex or myself will return with the short group to re-open the studio for hanging out after the ride and waiting for the long group if you so desire.

Late joiners: For anyone looking to pick up the ride after we've rolled out, the best 2 spots are probably at Calero reservoir (there is a park entrance fee to park your car there) on McKean just north of Bailey. Since this is also the regroup point on the way back it might be your best bet. Another option is to park near the Almaden/Harry/McKean intersection.

Weather: It is expected to be warm this weekend so plan your water supply accordingly. I'm hearing possible highs in the 80's. SWEET.

We'll have the rollup door on the studio open at 8:30 so you can hang out & get all amped on coffee or give the PowerCranks a test! Don't forget the first 10 in the door get free Hammer Nutrition gift packs. For everyone else we'll have plenty of electrolytes & gels/powders on hand for purchase at a killer price if you need to stock up when you get there.

Cheers,

·
Registered
239 Posts
water refill

The only good refill spots are as we get back into town, there is a shopping center at Almaden/Camden intersection. Most of the loop out near the reservoirs, I dont know where you could refill.

I'll have 2 large bottles on the bike and 2 regular bottles in the jersey, fwiw. And plenty of Endurolytes in all of them. Now I'm hearing high 80s!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.