Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on a used(1season old-new to me) fork to put me in a more upright position on the bike. I added 2 3/8" of spacers to get the positon that I needed, but this looks like to many to me. Will having this many spacer cause any chance of breaking the carbon steerer tube and what amount should be used?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Wrong sized bike?

normalnorm said:
I just put on a used(1season old-new to me) fork to put me in a more upright position on the bike. I added 2 3/8" of spacers to get the positon that I needed, but this looks like to many to me. Will having this many spacer cause any chance of breaking the carbon steerer tube and what amount should be used?
If you have that many spacers you are probably on the wrong sized bike. You might also check out sport geometry rather than road geometry. You shouldn't have to do really outrageous set ups to get comfort with the right size and geometry.

Even if you need custom, there are a number of affordable options out there. I couldn't give you a good answer about the carbon steerer. Sounds like fit is more of an issue though.

Mike

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's too much. I don't have a calculator in front of me, but you're talking at least 6 cm of spacer. I haven't seen much over 3 or at most 4 cm. You should find the fork manufacturers website and see if they give limits.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Is your stem flipped up or down? The fork maker should spec how much extension it can have past the top of the head tube.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CNY rider said:
That's too much. I don't have a calculator in front of me, but you're talking at least 6 cm of spacer. I haven't seen much over 3 or at most 4 cm. You should find the fork manufacturers website and see if they give limits.

Thanks for all the info, everybody. I checked Eastons website and it said nothing about limits on length of the steerer tube. I do have the stem the proper way(7 degree rise). The spacers add up to 5.7cm. I just took out a spacer to make it 4.7. This now puts about 2 1/2" of height difference between the saddle and the handlebars. The bike is 56cm(top tube length is also 56cm) and I am 6'1". Maybe, I should have been sold a 58cm? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
frame one or two sizes too small, I think

normalnorm said:
Thanks for all the info, everybody. I checked Eastons website and it said nothing about limits on length of the steerer tube. I do have the stem the proper way(7 degree rise). The spacers add up to 5.7cm. I just took out a spacer to make it 4.7. This now puts about 2 1/2" of height difference between the saddle and the handlebars. The bike is 56cm(top tube length is also 56cm) and I am 6'1". Maybe, I should have been sold a 58cm? Thanks again.
if you are 6 foot 1 inch then yes you need 58cm-60cm frame. For example, I am 5 foot 8.5 inches short and I ride a 54cm (54.6cm tt) and I used to have 56cm which felt too large. You are a lot taller than me so I think a 56cm is at least 2cm too small, if not more, unless you inseam/torso proportions are unusual.

Re spaces, yes, anything over 40mm is a bit scary and 40mm is borderline. I used to ride 40mm spacer myself (bad back) but now dropped one 10mm spacer, down to 30mm and flipped the stem from -8 to +8 degrees instead. This might also work for you i.e. flip the stem up and remove 10 or even 20mm of spacer and see how this works. Note: if you flip the stem upwards it effectively makes it ~one size shorter so you might need a 10mm longer stem as a result.

good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts