Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

SPAM: Alliance Bicycles Custom Steel Cyclocross 56.5cm

3K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  misterdangerpants 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Up for grabs, is a steel cyclocross bike that I built for NAHBS. It's a size 56.5cm, but my site has all of the information on sizing and parts spec. Retail price is $3,325, sale price is $2,350

Please visit the Project Bike page on my website http://alliancebicycles.com/projectbike/

Email me at erik@alliancebicycles.com

Thanks,

--
Erik Rolf
Alliance Bicycles
erik@alliancebicycles.com
www.alliancebicycles.com

SPAM pass here http://classifieds.roadbikereview.com/showproduct.php?product=24235&cat=4

#2 ·
Nice bike but 3k for a SS? Really?

#3 ·
Kram said:
Nice bike but 3k for a SS? Really?
Yes, really. It's a custom bike made by a talented and skilled craftsman right here in the U.S.A.

Anyway, nice bike Erik. I was at 2011 NAHBS Austin with my wife and it was am amazing event. The trip was my wife's wedding gift to me (got married this past June). My bike was being showcased at the Igleheart booth (a 953 650B single speed) so it made the trip even more special. :)

#4 ·
I know that, but you can get an equally as nice geared custom steel steed by equally as talented US builders for that. Just sayin.

#6 · (Edited)
Kram said:
I know that, but you can get an equally as nice geared custom steel steed by equally as talented US builders for that. Just sayin.
I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone to build you a complete bike with a frame and fork with the quality of parts evident on this bike, not to mention the paint (for under $3000). In addition, I'm guessing this builder is far more experienced than you are regarding pricing his work.

P.S. A photo I took from the show :) :

View attachment 225286

#7 ·
You misread my post. The original price is above 3k, and this has nothing really special on it (yes, the frame/fork is sweet); FSA headset, Ritchey seatpost/stem, Fangos, can't tell the wheelset.

#8 ·
Kram said:
You misread my post. The original price is above 3k, and this has nothing really special on it (yes, the frame/fork is sweet); FSA headset, Ritchey seatpost/stem, Fangos, can't tell the wheelset.
Nobody misread your post. You seem to be mortified that one of the most promising and well respected, up-and-coming builders could charge $3000 for a single speed CX bike (the discounted price is a bargain). And you continue to be passive aggressive by insulting the builder by saying there's nothing special on it. Erik provided a URL in the original post to the build list so maybe you might want to check that out.

#9 ·
I'm not insulting him; it's a beautiful bike. The discounted price is reasonable. I just wouldn't pay north of 3k for a SS cross bike unless it came with Sven Nyes legs attatched to it:thumbsup:

#10 ·
Kram said:
I'm not insulting him; it's a beautiful bike. The discounted price is reasonable. I just wouldn't pay north of 3k for a SS cross bike unless it came with Sven Nyes legs attatched to it:thumbsup:
I agree, it's a very limited market for a bike that is so narrowly focused. And even, somebody in the market for a custom single speed cyclocross bike would probably want to have the builder custom build it for them, to their custom measurements.

#11 ·
Well, the bike would actually fit me perfectly... too bad I'm a college student. I need to stop looking at these pictures.

And whatever. People pay 2 grand for those ridiculous madfiber wheels, or more for a carbon frame. Speaking only for myself a nice ss cross bike would get way more use than either of those things.

#12 ·
Nice bike- classic lines. :thumbsup:

#15 ·
We all have our poisons. You forgot to add "fugly" to the description of those MF wheels. I wouldn't pay that for a wheelset, either.

#17 ·
Kram said:
The wheels are Paul high flange hubs laced to A23's with dt comps and alloy nips.

atpjunkie said:
and not brazed
The frame and fork are tig welded.

#18 ·
tamjam said:
As long as you've paid your $2 to the classifieds and include a link to the ad in your post, that's your spam pass, so the mods shouldn't complain.
Correct. :thumbsup:

#21 ·
Kram
The price is what you pay and value is what you get. Vanilla asks over 3k for a Speedvageen frame and fork which is designed by Sasha but not necessarily built by him.
Sachs is asking 4k for a frame and you find 3k for a bike (I know it doesn't have gears) hard to swallow? Like me, I don't think this is a market that you are prepared to play in becasue if you were you would see, that assumng the quality is as high as it appears, that the pricing is not out of line. .

#23 ·
I'm going to stay away from the value debate as it will just turn into "yeah, but I can get a whole Felt Breed for a grand"

But if you were to take this frame and fork and add a Sram Force kit, the retail would be 3,690 or 365 dollars more. The truth is, gears don't add much to a build kit price.

Also, I wanted to say thanks to Mister Danger Pants for stopping by my booth is Austin. I enjoyed meeting you and your wife. I also wanted to say thanks for supporting what me and guys like Chris do. I got to check out your bike on Saturday. It looks far better in real life than the pictures, which is hard to imagine.

Thanks to everyone else for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Erik

#24 ·
That bike is a steal at that price. Yes there are a bunch of other builders, Rock Lobster, Kish, Coconino that all fall in the basic frame price, but with say $1300 for the frame, $ 350 for the fork his askin price for the rest of the stuff for the build is cheap. I hope someone buys that darn bike cause I am so tempted. But with a Matt Chester and a Moots SS CX bikes in stock I am thinking I have about as many SS CX bikes as I need.
Oh yea I payed way north of $3 k for those bikes. Heck my two Kona Jake of Snakes scandiums together cost way less than either of my SS rigs . I race 90% of the time SS and use the gearies for fireroad rough stuff bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.