Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Blackthorn
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to have a spare chain in my toolbox, "just in case." One of the current issues of bike mags says to have it ready, with the right # of links, and a SRAM super link.

Question: will the SRAM chain and super link work with my Dura Ace 7900? Or, should I get a D/A chain, and keep a chain tool to push in the rivet.

I used to use SRAM quick links on my MTB, and think it's a great idea. Don't know why Shimano doesn't have something similar.

Thanks for the advice.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,443 Posts
sure, use the sram chain, or get a quick link for the shimano chain if you like them. either way is fine

·
Registered
243 Posts
I found the KMC X10SL chain with its "missing link" to be superior to the Shimano and Sram chains. The "missing link" can be opened by hand without needing a chain plier and is easily reassembled. The gold colored TI-N coated chain has lasted over 3200 miles so far and has not stretched 1/32 inch yet on my DA drivetrain.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
jwp3476 said:
I found the KMC X10SL chain with its "missing link" to be superior to the Shimano and Sram chains
I too prefer KMC to Shimano or SRAM chains. They run longer, run quieter, shift just fine and cost considerably less--about half, if you know where and how to shop.

Since they're so cheap, I go up one step to the prettier half-nickel X10.93

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Reading Material

blackthorn said:
One of the current issues of bike mags says to have it ready, with the right # of links, and a SRAM super link.
What magazine are you reading?

I do have a couple of new chains in boxes but don't open them or change the length until ready to install. I can't imagine the need to "be ready" at a moments notice for a regular maintenance item.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
A KMC link or Wipperman link work just fine with Shimano 10sp chains. SRAM Powerlock links do not work so well as they are too tight and can bind.

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
+1

Keeping up with Junior said:

I do have a couple of new chains in boxes but don't open them or change the length until ready to install. I can't imagine the need to "be ready" at a moments notice for a regular maintenance item.
^this^

In the last 300,000 miles or so I have had exactly zero chain failures or other "chain emergencies" that would suggest I need to keep a chain "primed and ready to go" in my tool box. YMMV

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
In the last 300,000 miles or so I have had exactly zero chain failures or other "chain emergencies" that would suggest I need to keep a chain "primed and ready to go" in my tool box. YMMV
I've actually had 2, ride-ending chain breaks while pedaling. Both were my fault.

One was bad maintenance - it was before I learned that soaking in Simple Green then leaving in a plastic bag for a week, is really not the right way. Resulted in rust and a broken chain.

The second was bad shifting on an old chain. Cross-chained and sprinting like Andy Shleck popped it.

But the lesson is not "carry a spare chain." It is: keep the bike maintained correctly.

·
Blackthorn
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keeping up with Junior said:

I think it was in Road Bike Action's September issue, 215 tips.....

but not positive.

Either way, Iike the idea of a removeable link, and Shimano doesn't do it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
blackthorn said:
I'd like to have a spare chain in my toolbox, "just in case." One of the current issues of bike mags says to have it ready, with the right # of links, and a SRAM super link.
To reduce confusion in here, are you talking about carrying a spare chain with you when you ride or keeping a new chain handy in the toolbox that you keep in the garage?

I don't know of any riders that carry a full chain with them. Maybe some links and a super link or two. I would consider packing a spare chain if I were doing some serious cross-country touring.

·
Registered
28 Posts
brucew said:
I too prefer KMC to Shimano or SRAM chains. They run longer, run quieter, shift just fine and cost considerably less--about half, if you know where and how to shop.

Since they're so cheap, I go up one step to the prettier half-nickel X10.93

The X10.93 is much cheaper than the X10SL so how is it a step up??

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,420 Posts
I prefer having a "spare bike"

I broke a 7 speed chain, 15 years ago.

I won't use connecting links.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I do this kind of bass ackwards.

My spare chain is whatever chain I took off my bike last. I keep it in my travel toolbox just in case I or someone else has a mishap when we're in a location that is unfamiliar to us. At bare minimum, it will allow one of us to get back to the car, get the chain, and finish the ride.

Getting a new chain is the concern once I'm home.

·
Blackthorn
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
moonmoth said:
To reduce confusion in here, are you talking about carrying a spare chain with you when you ride or keeping a new chain handy in the toolbox that you keep in the garage?

I don't know of any riders that carry a full chain with them. Maybe some links and a super link or two. I would consider packing a spare chain if I were doing some serious cross-country touring.
No, I don't wanna RIDE with a chain. Just to have one available in the box on an extended trip.

·
Unsafe at Any Speed
456 Posts
If you rotate chains, or don't wear them out completely before replacement, surely you will have an extra one handy.

I like having a spare chain in case one gets excessively sandy or wet and I want to go out on a ride.

I have carried a spare chain on the bike in cases of commute in doubtful weather : rain early, then dry so I replace the chain after the rain has passed. Maybe that idea borders on the 'excessive'.

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Excessive?

Pieter said:
I have carried a spare chain on the bike in cases of commute in doubtful weather : rain early, then dry so I replace the chain after the rain has passed. Maybe that idea borders on the 'excessive'.
Ya think?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts