Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any feedback on Castelli Body Paint Bibs? My experience has been quite negative...the chamois was monstrously uncomfortable for me. Way too thick and padded, the bunching almost caused me to shorten a ride and head back home. Got 'em for <$200 but still it goes to the top of my list for one of the worst bike gear purchases ever. Shorts themselves were of great material and were great fitting, but that Progetto X2 pad was a disaster. I used to trust Inigo Cuesta, but no more...those Cervelo guys must have some bony butts.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've got the Free Aero bibs with Progetto X2 pad and love them. These are easily my favorite pair of bibs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Love Body paint bibs

nealrab said:
Anyone have any feedback on Castelli Body Paint Bibs? My experience has been quite negative...the chamois was monstrously uncomfortable for me. Way too thick and padded, the bunching almost caused me to shorten a ride and head back home. Got 'em for <$200 but still it goes to the top of my list for one of the worst bike gear purchases ever. Shorts themselves were of great material and were great fitting, but that Progetto X2 pad was a disaster. I used to trust Inigo Cuesta, but no more...those Cervelo guys must have some bony butts.
Couldn't disagree more. The most comfortable bibs I have worn. Between my Assos Mille and P.I. Pro Octane bibs they are the most comfortable ones I have. The fit is superlative on me. I love the way the material doesn't grab me but forms around me. I'm @6', 165 lbs and wear a large. No bunching, pulling or rubbing. Chamois is form fitting and provides the right amount of support for its mass ( I use Chamois butt'r). My daily rides are from 45-100Km and I liked them so much I ordered another pair.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just goes to show that regardless of how great we think a pair of shorts is, it really is individual preference.

Except for the Assos FI.13 S5. Those are pretty much without fault :p

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Truer words were never spoken....

personal preference is the order of the day when it comes to cycling gear, whether it be saddles, shoes, bars, drivetrains, or even bar tape. But I've been pretty lucky with most clothing and can wear 80-90% of stuff without much complaint...but for some reason I cannot wear Castelli (except booties) anything with any degree of comfort. Kinda strange. I've collected a wide array of bibs/shorts over the years including PI, LG, Sugoi, Descente, Etxe Ondo, Santini with mostly good fits. Very few were terrible, but I can't remember going up the pricing ladder and spending $200 or more and being so uncomfortable in bibs or shorts. The reviews are fabulous for the Body Paints so I was somewhat shocked at the level of discomfort I experienced with them. The chamois was incredibly thick, but I'm glad to hear at least some people CAN wear them and enjoy their rides. I'm just not sure I can trust the opinions of all those Cervelo riders anymore.

·
Registered
148 Posts
how do find the bibs?

i am thinking of getting them in the Team colours
Love them soo comfotrable. I've got 3. the black, the team and the black/wht

·
Registered
337 Posts
nealrab said:
I'm just not sure I can trust the opinions of all those Cervelo riders anymore.
I ride Cervelo (I'm sure you were just talking about CTT). I've never had much luck with Castelli either, so you're not alone.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The Campag 11 speed clothing range is all the rage with my mates....mind you they wish that they never got it as they cant wear anything else now...they love it so much but is way expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts