Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife had 2 days off of work which ALWAYS translates into at least three additional days of work for me on top of my real job.
She decided we needed to paint the living room, hall and stair well which is really all one big space. That includes 3 windows, 7 doors, a niche with built i desk and laundry shoot, not to mention, say 25 feet of railing and base board.

My wife picked the colors that would accent the natural woodwork.

I do not like the color, but then again, it looks good and I really don't give that much of a rats a$$ so it's not much of an issue. Ceiling is TOTALLY done and walls have one coat, the part of the the trim and ceiling "cut in" that I did is finished but my wife insists on "scrubbing" the
paint on so she takes as much off as she gets on, I tend to slop it on as heavy as I can without it running.

We haven't TOUCHED the stairs yet. We went from a light color to a dark so it will for sure need a second coat....although it is REALLY nice paint, a flat enamel, better be good for 26 bucks a gallon!

Long day

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
trust me, I was up an hour and a half before she got up to get started...I only spent 8 hours with a brush or roller in hand....she spent 9...........

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
btw, that carpet is coming out and we are finishing the whole area with the maple 3/4 t&G

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.....I like it, the darker and lighter ceiling....I just don't like the color particularly...I agree it looks good and even better, but my choice of colors would have been a bit greener or bluer...or maybe a wine color (red wine color not a while wine color)

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
looks nice. not get off the innerwebs and get back to work

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
done

looks pretty good...however I am for sure going to have to at least jack the wattage in the bulb over the steps....fwiw the color is much darker that the pictures show... I want to wait until the paint is cured to put the railing back on.

edit, oh yeah...we need to re-hang pictures!

edit, 2 people, 10 hours each....

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
You must have used a Purdy brush to cut in edges like that. :)

I'm not picky when it comes to choosing paint colors, but I could never live with that. Only reason is that my office is almost the same exact color - with natural woodwork. It looks good but after a decade I don't think I could come home to it too!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kykr13 said:
You must have used a Purdy brush to cut in edges like that. :)

I'm not picky when it comes to choosing paint colors, but I could never live with that. Only reason is that my office is almost the same exact color - with natural woodwork. It looks good but after a decade I don't think I could come home to it too!
Oh yeah......Purdy is the only brush I'll buy.....considering I use them for YEARS (my varnish brush is 10 years old and my paint..? 4 ?)

There is a LOT of edgework in that space.....MILES and MILES of it. It REALLY helps to be able to work with either hand...some of those edges I am not sure could be done otherwise.

My shop is stark white (do not want ANY color pollution while I am working). After 19 years I shudder to think of re-painting them....with accumulated polish dust....ugh.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
You have too many doors.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Fmbp.....we have LOTS of natural wood and over 30 windows.

Mike...that was my thought too while I was trimming around them...HOWEVER there are 4 bedrooms and a bathroom involved, an exterior door, 3 windows and a laundry shoot. The rooms would be hard to get into with no doors....LOL

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
good looking trim work. no angle mitering?

·
Sharp
1,695 Posts
You did a great job to finish all that in 2/3 days, well done. And the colour makes the place look more home-like and inviting. Noice.

(My 2 cents..... I would paint the small "ceiling" bit in the bookshelf alcove that you have kept as white, the wall colour. The white bit jumps out at you whereas that whole recess should visually recede.)

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
is that a doublewide?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, I don't like crown molding on 8 foot ceilings, I have it downstairs on the 9 1/2 foot ceilings.

Nope, no miters in that space or downstairs, all have triple bead and corner rosettes.
The second floor bedrooms are mitered corners, third floor are triple bead and corner rosettes, but painted.

I agree about the small ceiling in the niche, but I am just dumb labor here.

Thanks for the compliments. Keep in mind we just painted it this weekend, construction has been done for years ...BUT we did build it ourselves. every stick, ever stone, every nail.....my wife designed it, blueprints were on notebook paper

1 - 20 of 28 Posts