Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These tires are around two months old, with 110 miles on them, and they've developed some cracking where the sidewall meets the tread.

I'm thinking this should not be happening. :mad:

Anyone else experienced this? I'm planning on heading to my LBS to have them warranty these or swap them for another make. Did I just get a defective pair? The cracks are sketching me out, so I'm planning on not riding them again. What a bummer.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Mr. Peabody said:
Yep, there's a definite cracking of the rubber and I can see the beige cross-hatching beneath.

Err to caution, Mr.Peabody. You dont need to be riding around on tires that are cracking after only 110 miles. Take them back!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
croswell1 said:
Err to caution, Mr.Peabody. You dont need to be riding around on tires that are cracking after only 110 miles. Take them back!!
I agree. I've liked the Specialized tires I've used. I had a training pair of AC sports that lasted two years, with plenty of road miles on them.

These are actually the tires off my wife's race bike. I took them back to my LBS this morning, and to their (continued) credit they swapped them out with no problem whatsoever. They took a look at the tires and were surprised; they said both were obviously cracking and that they'd suggest changing them just to be safe. If they were my tires, I might run them to see if the problem got worse before requesting a warranty replacement, but as they're my wife's tires, I wasn't willing to risk it. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Which LBS ?????

Are we "allowed" to mention shops by name???
If so maybe we should post shop names and locations
I can't think of any negatives for giving props when help like this is given.
Just an idea...
What do all of you think???

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Just replaced one of mine. The Mondo S-Works self destructed in less than 700 miles. Tread peeled away while cruising in Tahoe. Came off after smacking a storm grate on a long 50mph decent. The tread went MIA for about a 2 inch section but the threads held together and I didn't get a puncture. I replaced it with a Mondo Pro instead. Waiting to see what happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.