Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may change from a Specialized Roubaix to a CR1. I currently ride a 54cm Roubaix and am looking at a 54cm Scott. They have very similar TT lengths. My LBS told me that because of the difference in the head tube lengths that I should look at a 52cm CR1. Some how this doesn't seem right. Am I missing something? Has anybody ridden these two frames who can give me some feedback on sizing? I'd also like just general ride characteristic opinions. I have ridden both, but the the short ride down the block from the LBS is not enough.

Thanks.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
makes no sense...

At first glance, this makes no sense. A 54cm Roubaix has a very tall 165mm head tube, 54.8cm TT and 73.5 STA. The 54cm Scott has a 1.5cm shorter, 150mm HT, a 54.5cm TT and a 74 degree STA. The steeper STA on the Scott makes the reach on this frame just a few millimeters longer than the Roubaix.

The 52cm Scott has a much shorter head tube at only 130mm and a reach that is nearly 1cm shorter.

Is there something you've failed to mention, like an odd stem setup on the Roubaix, like a 73 degree stem and no spacers due to the HT being too tall?

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing strange about the setup. My conclusion was the same. That when all was said and done they would fit very similar and that I should not need to go down a frame size, but with such a big purchase I figured I would get some outside input.

· Registered
99 Posts
Roubaix to CR1

If anything, you should consider one size bigger for the Scott. When I got my Roubaix Pro, despite of what Specialized said about their TT length, I found the 56 too long (and I have a 57 custom steel), I needed to go one size smaller to the 54.
Unless you ride the Scott, it is hard to compare the two geometries.

Also, why would you want to change to the Scott in the first place?

Michael
---------------------------
Ride, rinse, repeat.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the Scott weighs 880 g for the frame and the Spec. weighs 1200. The frame geometry is different. The carbon is different. The tube diameters are different. Last, the Spec has the zertz inserts if you believe that they change ride quality.

· Registered
339 Posts
So do you want two bikes? If not why not just buy a different frame and reuse your components? What sort of riding do you do? Will the upgrade make all that much difference to you?

The "upgrade" doesn't seem that large to me, if I upgraded my Roubaix (although I think I'd keep it for training and the longer rides anyway) then I would go with something at the Tarmac level or higher to get a real upgrade.

· Registered
99 Posts
Weight difference vs Ride difference

Unless you go with the CR1 Limited, which indeed comes up at ~880 gr, and you come from a regular Roubaix, there won't be that much weight difference.
My Roubaix Pro (2004 model in 54) weighed in at 1054 gr including the headset, which I couldn't remove, a 56 CR1 Pro is listed on weightweenies.starbike.com at 988 gr.

The ride on the Roubaix is SMOOTH, the ride on the Scott is STIFF. Both are stiff in the BB, but the Scott feels more like a stiff aluminum frame.

Best upgrade for your Roubaix would be the fork, which makes the steering slow, and is an anchor (mine weighed ~450gr). I swapped mine for an Easton SLX and the bike rides much nicer IMO.

However, if you just want a different bike, then by all means go ahead and satisfy the need, but do test ride it, don't just buy it by the numbers.

Good luck with your choice,

Michael
----------------------------
Ride, rinse, repeat.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My frame is a Roubaix Comp. I'm not sure if that makes a difference in weight. The weight of a 56 cm Roubaix Comp is listed here (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=roadframes) as 1210. I'd be interested to hear more and see pictures of your bike with the slx. I will go this weekend and test ride a Scott with my own pedals and shoes if possible.

· Registered
99 Posts
Roubaix setup and pictures

There is an old thread on this board that has pictures of my bike (look for my older posts around March 2005). I got my bike for cheap with an all ultegra setup, which I basically put on an old bike that I sold, and then built up the Roubaix from scratch. While the Roubaix Pro frame is excellent, the same can't be said about most of the parts Specialized puts on it. Very heavy stuff. Even the full DA Roubaix Pro is heavy in its stock configuration.

I'll try to get some more recent pictures (with race compliant road handlebars and not bullhorns) and post them here.

Michael
---------------------------
Ride, rinse, repeat.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So a 54cm CR1 is almost the exact same reach as the 54cm Roubaix. I have to disagree with the comment that it rides like a stiff aluminum bike. The bike is more stiff through the bottom bracket than the Roubaix, but it is not as compliant in the seat stays. Therefore, it is not as smooth but it is still far smooth than an oversized aluminum frame any day.

By the way I have change most of the components that were originally on my Roubaix. I'll post a photo when I put the new crankset on.

· Registered
192 Posts
collectorvelo said:
it has been widely discussed here that the Specialized, Scott, Cannondale, and Fuji carbon bikes all come from the same factory in China

So it makes you wonder - why they would be much different
My Scott CR1 was built in Taiwan in the Topeak factory. Scott's "carbon wleding" process is proprietary and is not used by other manufacturers. Specialized's new AZ1 carbon technology on the Tarmac SL does share some similiarities to the Scott process in that both CNC miter carbon tubes, and then wrap carbon sheets around the joints for stiffness.

· Registered
9 Posts
Bianchi Ti said:
I may change from a Specialized Roubaix to a CR1. I currently ride a 54cm Roubaix and am looking at a 54cm Scott. They have very similar TT lengths. My LBS told me that because of the difference in the head tube lengths that I should look at a 52cm CR1. Some how this doesn't seem right. Am I missing something? Has anybody ridden these two frames who can give me some feedback on sizing? I'd also like just general ride characteristic opinions. I have ridden both, but the the short ride down the block from the LBS is not enough.

Thanks.
I bought a Scott CR1 pro after many people told me how great it was, and the killer reviews..For climbing it was awesome, for everything else it was bad. The bike had a very ceramic feel, not smooth at all. I started riding my old Fuji more & more and leaving the Scott in the garage. I finally traded it in on a Felt F4C..Now I really know what a carbon bike can do. It is so smooth & tight, but does not beat you up on long rides. To me anyway it just seems to be a much better all around ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.