Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Piecing together a four or five day tour from Redding to Truckee, using this as a guide.

http://www.sonic.net/~backroad/onenst.html

I'm curious about a few roads and their traffic, safety, etc....just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into. The routes use many side roads but use 89 as it's spine.

Hwy 89 from I-5 down to Burney Falls....

89 from Burney Falls through Lassen NP

89 from Lassen NP to Lake Almanor, then 89 to Portola, and 89 to Truckee.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
As far as Lassen NP, the only problem I had (last season) was fresh super loose gravel/tar crud. Made the descent crazy. Most, if not all, parts of 89 are not all that bad to ride but some areas have far more traffic than others. Lassen can have quite a bit of RVtraffic and is quite narrow and switchbacky and 89 around Truckee can be quite exciting vehiclewise but very rideable. I have never ridden the areas from I5 to Burney Falls.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I live in Redding and can tell you that the ride from I-5 to Burney on 89 is a VERY scenic and enjoyable ride. Not many cars - tho not much shoulder either. Nice views of Mt. Shasta. Don't forget to stop at Burney Falls just before 89 crosses 299 - really pretty small water fall - the rock in the area is all volcanic, so the water pours THROUGH the face of the falls as much as it goes over the top.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've ridden from Burney Falls to Lassen, and also the Lassen Road. Make SURE you have lots of water. That's high elevation riding, and in the heat and a headwind it can really dehydrate you fast. I stopped in Old Station and filled up on Gatorade there...made a huge difference in the ride.

That road is just about the most beautiful road on the planet.

PW

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Don't know if you've already done the ride, but Highway 89 through Lassen is being widened and there are six miles of compressed gravel with about 90% of it being north of the summit. It's rideable but with 25mm tires it was pretty bumpy at times. Not too many washboards yet but a lot of loose 1inch gravel in places with solid, smooth compressed clay in others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.