Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a first by a newbie here. My LBS carries mainly Giant, Trek, and Specialized bikes. I'm looking at these two models for $2000 v. $1150.

They are currently putting them both together for me in the 58 size. The frame seems to be a good fit, as I tried out a 60 and 58 in a lower end config. The 60 just felt too big, even at 6'4".

What can I expect from these two bikes? How are my upgrade options down the road? How is the resell value of the different frames?

·
Registered
282 Posts
i have the roubaix elite which has the same spec as the tarmac your looking at, for me everything is working fine im not worried about upgrades, maybe a lighter wheelset down the road, maybe a fancier crank but everything is running like clockwork so its on the back burner

i also tried the tarmac elite, great bike great fit and looks cool, you feel every bump in the road though so i chose the roubaix changed the tires to 23c which made it feel racier but it still had great vibration absorbson, i dont know about the allez sport but the 2009 allez elite has been getting really good reviews and is the coolest looking allez yet

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
As always, fit matter most, so if your bike shop is working with you on that issue and you're comfortable on a 58 cm frame, you'll be good to go on either bike.

Both are good choices and have similar geo's, but do have different personalities. Handling will be very similar, but the Allez is going to have a harsher ride while the Tarmac will be smoother. I have the Tarmac Comp (same frameset) and think it offers the best blend of lively ride/ handling and smoothness, but ultimately you'll be the judge when you test ride both.

Upgrade options are about the same for both bikes as is resale value. The Allez may hold a slight edge there, because it starts off at a lower price, so may depreciate less. OTOH, I'd think you'd buy a bike to ride and rack up the miles, not think about the next one. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a Tarmac Comp and I love it. I was actually debating between a 2009 Allez Sport and a 2008 Tarmac Elite for a while, but I ended up going with the 2008 Comp because I got it for 1200 bucks. The bikes are definitely different - slightly so in geometry, but more significantly so in the CF vs aluminum debate. I liked the feel of the Tarmac a lot better, so ride both quite a bit and go with your gut. Knowing nothing about you or how you feel about each bike, if you can afford to spend over 2 grand I would recommend the Tarmac. Great bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update to the thread. The two bikes should be ready to test on Thursday, so I'm getting pretty antsy.

Are there any particular weak points to the stock set up of these bikes? I'll be switching pedals, but are there other components, like changing wheels or cranks before I even get rolling?

Tough but fun diving head first into this world.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Allez was ready on Thursday, but there was an order mix up, so it won't be til after the weekend til the Tarmac elite comes in. It's driving me nuts.

It has given me more time to read more before the big purchase.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
The carbon bike will cure bike lust for a while. The aluminum one will not.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here's my 2 cents worth.... the Allez series of bikes from Sp are more for the enthusiast rider, and the Tarmac's geometry is based on the very sucessful Pro models. Its geometry is actually alot more aggressive.
So it really depends on your type of riding the type of terrain that you will be riding... Allez will give you to comfort and I suppose the SPORT on it is to add alittle Agression to some of the geometry.

Tarmacs tend to be alot stiffer.. some like it.. some don't...

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.