Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a avid mountain biker, (got 5 MT Bikes) and no road bikes. but after last cat 1 race and pressure from my friends i realize i need to get on a road bike to build endurance.I am looking at getting building a tarmac pro w/ campy chorus 11 speed, campy wheels and other odds and ends. The shop that sponsors me has a Pinarello FP3 w/ 10 spd Dura -ace. 2008 model for 3800 but i could get a good deal on it. I want a lightweight and very competitive bike that i could eventually break into road racing with. What would be a good pick?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I work at a shop that sells pinarellos, they are great bikes. I have also dealt with the tarmac pro. The fp-3 will give you a better ride as far as vertical compliance is concerned. The tarmac might feel livelier but you wont be any faster.

·
497 Posts
either

Some thoughts - unless you are truly a midget who is already at his leanest, a few ounces bike weight one way or the other is meaningless. At 175lbs, I'm no giant but still rate frame stiffness as far more important, although the real-world benefit of that is also debatable. The placebo affect can be pretty strong though. Even more important is bike fit and general mannerisms. I will say that the 56cm Specialized geometry is tight and quick, which I really like. Pinarellos also used to be fairly nervous, not sure about current offerings. You really need to go ride some road bikes and figure out what you want before dropping a huge chunk of change - borrow some friends, ride other ones in the shop, try other brands just for grins.

In short, sounds like you're comparing two very similar bikes. Pick based on which fits better and which shifters you like better, which frame looks the coolest to you, or price if you're on the fence.

·
Registered
370 Posts
campy 11 is going to be a LOT more expensive to replace if you crash than good 'ol reliable DA 7800

IMHO, the rest...is just smoke and mirrors.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
This is just wrong... it should be the Specialized with DA and the Pinarello with Campy... then it would be an easy decision! :devil:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went and talked to the shop and i could pick up the PF3 for less then 3000, or I could build up a Fp6 campy 11 speed for a little more then the tarmac (2-300 dollars) so looking at apples to apples, tarmac pro sl or Pinarello FP6?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Based on the limited information you provided, and my own opinion, I vote Pinarello.

·
my bike's underpowered
440 Posts
joshs said:
I went and talked to the shop and i could pick up the PF3 for less then 3000, or I could build up a Fp6 campy 11 speed for a little more then the tarmac (2-300 dollars) so looking at apples to apples, tarmac pro sl or Pinarello FP6?
I could be wrong, but isn't the FP6 more comfort oriented than the FP3? :confused:

I'm thinking that you're getting closer in price, but moving away in ride and performance. If so, I would suggest taking all three for long rides before deciding. When you do, please give us a full report.
Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ksanbon said:
I could be wrong, but isn't the FP6 more comfort oriented than the FP3? :confused:

I'm thinking that you're getting closer in price, but moving away in ride and performance. If so, I would suggest taking all three for long rides before deciding. When you do, please give us a full report.
Thanks!
so the FP6 is more like a roubaix?

·
my bike's underpowered
440 Posts
joshs said:
so the FP6 is more like a roubaix?
I haven't ridden one. so I don't know if it's as comfortable as the Roubaix. I do know that it's a more affordable version of it's predecessor, the Paris Carbon which was designed for the rough-road classics. The cost savings came from using 30HM3K carbon intead of the 46HM3K on the Paris.

I bought the Tarmac Pro after comparing it to the 4:13. I didn't consider the Roubaix because I prefer the snappier feel and quicker handling of the Tarmac.

In regards to the bikes your considering, my guess is that you'll find some significant differences in the feel of all three if you get a chance to ride them. Have fun!

·
Banned
952 Posts
ksanbon said:

Thanks!
The 6 is more like the Paris and the 3 like a prince with cheaper carbon. In theory the 3 should be a little comfier than the 6. Both are killer . I have never ridden the specialized so I have no input. I'm sure they are all nice rides.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i want more of a snappier race type feel, I'd rather go a little stiffer.

·
my bike's underpowered
440 Posts
ClassicSteel71 said:
I'd bet the farm that any of the mentioned frames are stiffer and more race worthy than you or I..
I agree but they're different and so are we. Having choices gives us the opportunity to get what we want and have fun doing it. I'm hoping Joshs tries them and shares his impressions.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
What kind of racing? If you plan to ride mostly crits then those bikes wouldn't be my choices. Not because they wouldn't get the job done but because they're too dam expensive to fix or replace on my dime when the enevitable crash happens. Road course or stage racing, while not as prone to crashes as crits, has it's moments. If you won't be sponsored and only plan to dabble in road racing I'd seriously consider the cost of repairs and replacement. Most of your races will be cat 5-3 where the people are just developing their racing skills and crashes are more frequent. I'd look towards a relatively inexpensive alu frame and mid level equipment (Centaur, 105, maybe older Ultegra). With careful specing you'll have a light bike that won't burn a hole in your pocket.

If most of your riding will be training then get what you want. Damage to the bike won't be much of an issue but comfort for long miles in the saddle will be. That's where fit comes in. Don't base your selection on the brand or model but on the fit. That will make the bike more comfortable (regardless of whether it's "stiff" or "quick handling") and make your training more enjoyable. This will also make you more eager to get on the bike and put in the miles needed to get better at both road and mountain biking.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mel Erickson said:
What kind of racing? If you plan to ride mostly crits then those bikes wouldn't be my choices. Not because they wouldn't get the job done but because they're too dam expensive to fix or replace on my dime when the enevitable crash happens. Road course or stage racing, while not as prone to crashes as crits, has it's moments. If you won't be sponsored and only plan to dabble in road racing I'd seriously consider the cost of repairs and replacement. Most of your races will be cat 5-3 where the people are just developing their racing skills and crashes are more frequent. I'd look towards a relatively inexpensive alu frame and mid level equipment (Centaur, 105, maybe older Ultegra). With careful specing you'll have a light bike that won't burn a hole in your pocket.

If most of your riding will be training then get what you want. Damage to the bike won't be much of an issue but comfort for long miles in the saddle will be. That's where fit comes in. Don't base your selection on the brand or model but on the fit. That will make the bike more comfortable (regardless of whether it's "stiff" or "quick handling") and make your training more enjoyable. This will also make you more eager to get on the bike and put in the miles needed to get better at both road and mountain biking.
most of the use will be for training, some road course and maby the occasional crit. I do have some "sponsorship" in the way of 10% above cost pricing on pinarello and parts, but the tarmac would be about 1700 plus tax for the frame.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
joshs said:
most of the use will be for training, some road course and maby the occasional crit. I do have some "sponsorship" in the way of 10% above cost pricing on pinarello and parts, but the tarmac would be about 1700 plus tax for the frame.
I guess I don't consider that sponsorship since you still gotta replace your own parts if you break them. I like nice bikes but if I was looking for a road bike to train on, and my real passion was mountain biking, I wouldn't invest $3,000+ in a road bike. I'd probably do $1,500 and spend the rest on my real passion. Plus, mountain biking can be a lot more expensive over the long haul given the abusive nature of the sport. $1,500 will buy you a very serviceable, raceable road bike that will allow you to compete at whatever level your conditioning and skill will allow and last a long time if you don't wreck it.

However, I can tell you are bent on buying one of the Pinarellos or the Specialized. Get the Pinarello, whichever you find sexier. It's got the panache!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mel Erickson said:
I guess I don't consider that sponsorship since you still gotta replace your own parts if you break them. I like nice bikes but if I was looking for a road bike to train on, and my real passion was mountain biking, I wouldn't invest $3,000+ in a road bike. I'd probably do $1,500 and spend the rest on my real passion. Plus, mountain biking can be a lot more expensive over the long haul given the abusive nature of the sport. $1,500 will buy you a very serviceable, raceable road bike that will allow you to compete at whatever level your conditioning and skill will allow and last a long time if you don't wreck it.

However, I can tell you are bent on buying one of the Pinarellos or the Specialized. Get the Pinarello, whichever you find sexier. It's got the panache!
For me it is the kind of sponsorship, or what ever it is called, I want currently. If i got free parts and stuff, it would take alot of the fun out of biking for me, plus I would have to quit my job to get to that level, or atleast work as a Test engineer for a bike company(dream job). I get free kits and great cost on the parts i want, which keeps me building but enjoying the sport. I have close to my dream MTB bikes, i still want a carbon HT stumpy and a demo but i have no use for the demo. I would love a Carbon Full suspesion, but have a feeling i would brake some part of the rear suspension.
I like bikes and the look of them, I love the look of the Tarmac but I can get a good deal on a pinarello. I would go with a lower grade bike, but my friends 06 trek Madone 5.9 and the 06 trek 1000 that my gf is borrowing are worlds apart, and that trek is very nice and fast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts