Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pinarello FP Quatro with HED Ardennes wheels. I'm 75 and may switch to a senior citizen friendlier cross bike, which will also open up some new terrain on which to ride. If the new cross bike has disk brakes will I still be able to use my HED wheels? do you need a special wheel for disk wheels?

What ever happened to cantilever brakes? I thought they were vey
effective.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
No u will not, unless you go brakeless. And start a new fad, until you go downhill.

They still have canti brakes I believe.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
Any disc brake bike you buy will need new disc brake specific wheels as there is obviously no place to mount a rotor on a normal wheel, and the OLN measurement is wider on disc wheels as well. You'll need new wheels.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Cantilever brakes have largely been replaced by direct-pull brakes (often called U-brakes), because they work better and are easier to adjust than cantis, while still providing the extra clearance.

Think about your hub question. The hub has to have some provision for bolting the brake disk to it. Conventional hubs do not.
Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Rim Bicycle accessory

·
CX'er
863 Posts
Canti brakes for cross bikes are becoming increasingly rare. Basically, there's just a huge push from the industry to move towards disc brakes for everything including road bikes.

Something like a All-City Space horse might be right up your alley though as it blends a little more of a road geo than CX geo and uses canti's still. Super nice ride when I had one but eventually ended up with a monster cross bike for that use, a vassago fisticuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.