Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to road biking and on a limited budget (under 1500). My lbs has a new 2007 specialized Allez comp w/ 105 groupo for $1300 and a 2005 Roubaix (rental w/under 1000miles) w/ Ultegra groupo for $1400. I test rode both and liked them both. The Allez felt more responsive, while the Roubaix was a little more upright. I hope to ride regularly with some extended distance rides and eventually some races. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
520 Posts
yeah the roubaix is definately going to be a little more comfy probably, seeing how it's marketed as "endurance road", but i really don't have any issues riding the allez for long stretches. i think both frames are aluminum right? also, note that you're honestly not going to see much of a performance difference between 105 and ultegra, so i wouldn't let that sway you too much. i would personally lean toward the allez (because i have a fondness for that frame), but really both are appropriate for what you want to do. which did you like more, the upright positioning or the responsiveness?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Specialized seems to like producing different bikes under the same name. The 2005 Roubaix came in either carbon and aluminum depending on trim level. Also the 2005 could have had either 9-speed or 10-speed Ultegra (again depending on trim level), while the 2007 Allez would have 10-speed 105.

I really like my 2005 Allez Elite (basically similar to the 2007 Allez Comp except with 9-speed components and OEM wheels) but it's clearly going to come down to what you prefer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the info. The Roubaix was a full carbon frame. After much deliberation at the bike shop I went with the Allez. It felt a bit more responsive than the Roubaix and my overall intuition was to go with what felt better. I just got back from a quick 20mile ride and am thoroughly happy with it. I think I will definitely be hooked on road biking!

·
NewRider
51 Posts
Congratulations! I'm a newb but to me it seems a brand new bike with a better gruppo would seem to be the better deal because of the warranty...

bzmnbiker said:
Thanks for the info. The Roubaix was a full carbon frame. After much deliberation at the bike shop I went with the Allez. It felt a bit more responsive than the Roubaix and my overall intuition was to go with what felt better. I just got back from a quick 20mile ride and am thoroughly happy with it. I think I will definitely be hooked on road biking!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just picked up an Allez (elite) and i have to say, it is an amazing bike. Imo just test them both and pick your favorite.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.