Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone and I want to thank you all in advance for your input and knowledge. I am very new to road biking and actually only road once for about 3 miles as a test.

I have been looking for an entry or maybe a little better than an entry level bike. I rode both of these and would love everyone's feedback.

The comp is $1,200 and has 105 on it and the Sport has Tiagra derailleurs and Sora shifters for $720.

Can anyone tell me about these? I really like the 105 but trying to see if a rookie like me will notice a real difference

Thanks again

·
Registered
165 Posts
Doesn't the sora have thumb shifters?

I'd just get the 105 setup and be done. It's essentially a heavier version of shimanos best stuff.

·
3,494 Posts
The 2011 Specialized bikes will be out very soon, and may even be in stores right now. You might want to take a look at the 2011 Allez with SRAM Apex which should be similar to 105 but slightly cheaper. You could also use the arrival of the 2011 bikes to get a better deal on a 2010 bike. If you plan to have this bike for a while and ride it a lot, I'd stay away from Sora because of the thumb shifters.

More important than the components, though, is to make sure that you get a bike that fits well. You should concentrate on the test rides and fitting advice from the bike shop before starting to worry about the fine details of component selection.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
heffergm said:
Doesn't the sora have thumb shifters?

I'd just get the 105 setup and be done. It's essentially a heavier version of shimanos best stuff.
Yes Sora has thumb shifters and they can't be reached from the drops (like campy). For that reason along, I would suggest going to the comp and 105. Also, the sport is 9 speed and It'll be hard to replace/upgrade parts, since most of the other Shimanos other are 10 speed.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
you may also be interested in the tiagra shifter model for 2011, I haven't seen MSRP, but I'd imagine that it should be cheaper than the 2010 elite model

the tiagra setup works identically to the 105 and high end shifters (no thumb button)

you're spending a pretty decent chunk of change, I'd hate to spend that kind of money and not have the newest frame available (at least for a short period)

·
Registered
140 Posts
ukbloke said:
The 2011 Specialized bikes will be out very soon, and may even be in stores right now. You might want to take a look at the 2011 Allez with SRAM Apex which should be similar to 105 but slightly cheaper. You could also use the arrival of the 2011 bikes to get a better deal on a 2010 bike. If you plan to have this bike for a while and ride it a lot, I'd stay away from Sora because of the thumb shifters.

More important than the components, though, is to make sure that you get a bike that fits well. You should concentrate on the test rides and fitting advice from the bike shop before starting to worry about the fine details of component selection.
Or perhaps you can find a 2010 on clearance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I rode the 2011 Allez comp today with Sram and hated it! The bike is priced at $1250 down $200 from 2010 but no 105 now.

I also rode the 2011 Allez Elite today with full Tiagra and to my surprise worked pretty well. I am still struggling to see if the bike fits I am not sure what I am suppose to feel like.

I guess my options are now:

2010 Allez Comp with 105 = $1200
20100 Allez Elite with Tiagra = $1050

$150 difference

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'd go with the better frame over the better components, so the 2011

although really, the performance between the two will be so close that you could just pick the one you think looks cooler and you'll be fine

·
Registered
82 Posts
DougandBeth said:
I rode the 2011 Allez comp today with Sram and hated it! The bike is priced at $1250 down $200 from 2010 but no 105 now.

I also rode the 2011 Allez Elite today with full Tiagra and to my surprise worked pretty well. I am still struggling to see if the bike fits I am not sure what I am suppose to feel like.

I guess my options are now:

2010 Allez Comp with 105 = $1200
20100 Allez Elite with Tiagra = $1050

$150 difference
Here something to consider, your upgrade path. Tiagra is 9 speeds, so when you want to upgrade, you’ll have to replace your whole drive train. Whereas if you went with 105, you can do it one part at a time since it’s 10 speed and is compatible with the higher end lines like Ultegra and Dura Ace.

Just curious, what didn’t you like about SRAM?

·
I like waterboarding...
1,164 Posts
I too am curious about the hatred for SRAM. I just converted from Ultegra to Rival and really like the component change.

Hate seems like such a strong word.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So you hated the Apex, I think it looks pretty sweet Leanord Zinn gave it rave reviews. I have been riding road bikes for 40 years and had quite a few bikes in that time and never hated any of them, just liked some better than others. Get what you like the best there all good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some may love Sram and some may not and in my case I really disliked it. It did not seem smooth at all. Again it may have needed adjusting since the bike was just built but it was not for me.

Is it easy to use? Definitely! Was it as smooth as 105 or Tiagra? In my opinion, no

·
Making memories
285 Posts
My two cents

If you want better longevity and plan on riding alot, go with the 105. If you get the Tiagra components just stock up on some extra 9speed cassettes and chains from ebay; plenty of them on there. The Allez's are nice bikes and a good value. I have two riding buddies still riding their Allez's from 2000 (Ultegra equipped and who knows how many cassettes and chains they've gone through now).

Get what fits, get what puts a smile on your face and ride lots.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I wouldn't worry about 9 speed parts going away any time soon

I just bought and installed a 8 speed chain for a friend in the last month or so

maybe if you plan on riding the same bike for 20 years it could become an issue, but I think there's enough 7/8/9 speed bikes around that you won't have a parts issue any time soon

you could also make a point that a 9 speed chain is going to be more durable than a 10 speed and would last longer under comparable conditions

1 - 14 of 14 Posts