Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking to make the jump to a road bike from being strickly a mountain bikers for the past 7 years. I was looking around at all the value bikes at performance and bikesdirect and I just dont want to go that route. I went to a LBS that carries Specialized and although they have some deals on 05 roubaixs the paint joba nd the frame of the Allez really caught my eye. My first concern is that it does not have rear carbon seatstays. second concern is that it is full 105 and not Ultegra. Is there any reason why these should hold me back? I am not really looking to race. Any reason not to buy this bike this weekend?

·
Old Skool
804 Posts
Either or

I am currently helping a friend shop for his new bike so I have been looking at a lot of "entry level" machines. Both the “105” level Allez and Roubaix are good solid bikes. The Allez is a bit more of a classic “race” geometry, the Roubaix has a little longer wheelbase coupled with some other features designed to make a very comfortable long distance bike. By all reports the 105 components are very solid stuff, not as nice as Ultegra, but more than adequate for most folks. Ultimately the question of 105 or Ultegra is a question of your budget. If you have the bucks and desire to pop for Ultegra, by all means go for it.

IMHO, the most important thing about choosing a first road bike is fit. If the Allez fits you well and you feel good about the shop, I say pull the trigger. Buy the bike on Saturday and ride the [email protected]&! out of it on Sunday. Everybody’s first road bike is a learning experience. You learn what you like and don’t like and develop a riding style. When you go for your second bike you get to factor in the knowledge gained riding the first bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Allez on the Allez!

I bought a 2004 Allez Elite to use as a winter bike in Portland in order to save my Bianchi EV2 w/Record. I have to say that the Elite is a damn fine little bike: reasonably light, very comfortable even with the aluminum seat stays (it does have a carbon fork and seatpost), and a surprisingly fast, nimble ride. Even the stock BG saddle that came with it (and I assumed I'd be changing out within a week) is good and still on the bike. I figured this would be an adequate if uninspiring winter ride, but it turned out to be much more than that, a bike I actually enjoy riding. The 105 (mine is a 9-speed) shifts flawlessly (though there's a bit more of a "clunk" factor than you find on Ultegra) but the brakes are a bit wimpy, I have to say. The newer Elites have the 10-speed 105 which seems to shift even better. I really don't see anything out there that is a better dollar value than the Elite. If you stick with the sport and want something a bit sleeker and faster 3 or so years down the road, the Elite would be a solid second or winter bike. Go get it.

·
Banned
476 Posts
this bike has very low end parts - including lots of house brand stuff
and 9-speed
lowend wheels
lowend crank
and no name [probably lee chi] brakes]

you can get a much much better bike from Ibex, Bikesdirect, Performance, or rscycle

with any of these you get 10-speed Ultegra and some name brand parts and good wheels
and all the frames are probably made by Kinesis where Specialized gets their frames

Look at these specs before -- they are super low end for $1200

FRAME Specialized E5, fully manipulated Columbus SLX tubing, compact race geometry

FORK Specialized FACT monocoque carbon fork legs, crown, and steerer with Zertz inserts

HEADSET Specialized Mindset, 1 1/8" integrated threadless, sealed cartridge bearings, carbon 20mm cone with two 5mm alloy spacers

STEM Specialized Pro, 3D forged alloy, 31.8mm bar clamp, 4- position adjustable

HANDLEBARS Specialized Zertz Comp handlebar, racing drop, 31.8 clamp

TAPE Body Geometry Bar Phat, cork ribbon w/2.5mm gel padding

FRONT BRAKE Dual pivot, forged alloy, with cartridge multi-condition pads

REAR BRAKE Dual pivot, forged alloy, with cartridge multi-condition pads

BRAKE LEVERS Shimano 105, 9-speed, STI, flight deck compatible

FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano 105, 9-speed, 31.8mm clamp, bottom pull

REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano 105, 9-speed, short cage

SHIFT LEVERS Shimano 105, 9-speed, STI, flight deck compatible

CASSETTE Shimano HG50, 12-25t

CHAIN Shimano HG73, 9-speed

CRANKSET Sugino Direct Drive, 2-piece crankset

CHAINRINGS 53x39T

BOTTOM BRACKET Sugino integrated, exterior cartridge bearings, alloy

PEDALS Composite-body test ride pedals

RIMS Alex ALX 298, alloy double wall rim, machined sidewalls

FRONT HUB Alex ALX 298, 20 hole, QR

REAR HUB Alex ALX 298, 24 hole, aluminum freehub body, four cartridge bearings, QR

SPOKES Stainless 14g aero

FRONT TIRE Specialized Mondo Pro, 700x23C, aramid bead, 120TPI

REAR TIRE Specialized Mondo Pro, 700x23C, aramid bead, 120TPI

TUBES Specialized standard presta tube, 0.9mm thickness

SADDLE Body Geometry Avatar, microfiber cover, gel padding

SEAT POST Specialized Pavé II FACT carbon seatpost with Zertz insert, aluminum head, 27.2mm

SEAT BINDER Specialized, forged/CNC, double wedge

·
Registered
309 Posts
tron said:
I have been looking to make the jump to a road bike from being strickly a mountain bikers for the past 7 years. I was looking around at all the value bikes at performance and bikesdirect and I just dont want to go that route. I went to a LBS that carries Specialized and although they have some deals on 05 roubaixs the paint joba nd the frame of the Allez really caught my eye. My first concern is that it does not have rear carbon seatstays. second concern is that it is full 105 and not Ultegra. Is there any reason why these should hold me back? I am not really looking to race. Any reason not to buy this bike this weekend?
I have 6000 miles on an '03 Allez Elite. It worked just fine for me, although I swapped out the wheels. I have bikes with 105 and Ultegra, and while Ultegra is a little smoother, 105 works just fine. I agree with the comments about the brakes if they are the same as mine-not the best. I can really tell the difference between them and Ultegras.

Don't worry about carbon seatstays-fit is much more important.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies

I took one out for a test ride today and it felt really smooth even without the
carbon seatstays. I purposely sat over rough roads to see how it would feel and
I couldnt feel very much vibration. Thanks for all the tips, also I have looked into the scattante, the motobecanes and the tomassos but I dont like the looks of the
frames all that much and would not like to buy one without test riding it first. Also,
I like the red and white frame sounds silly but that matters to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.