Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10,161 Posts
????

Jeepson33s said:
Anyone know this? i am about to get a carbon fork and need to know the length of the headtube. Any help would be excellent
I don't get the question. How could anyone tell you the head tube length without knowing the frame size? Unless you're going to buy a used fork that's been cut down, the steering tubes are all long enough on new forks.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well my frame size is a 56cm, and i am buying a threaded carbon fork that has a 125mm steerer and just want to know if it will fit. i am new at this threaded thing and i know that its an older technology

· Registered
10,161 Posts
Ok...

Jeepson33s said:
well my frame size is a 56cm, and i am buying a threaded carbon fork that has a 125mm steerer and just want to know if it will fit. i am new at this threaded thing and i know that its an older technology
The short answer is no, it's not long enough.

The next question is does the frame actually use a 1 inch threaded steerer and a quill stem? To figure out the necessary steering tube length, measure from the bottom of the headset to the top of the headset, if it's a threaded type.

If it's a threadless type, then you have to measure further up, to the top of the stem.

Check out this site for more help.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=111

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its a quill stem. would i just be better off going to a threadless and getting a headset and stem, would i be doing anything worthwile? i have an aluminum or chromolly fork and its brutal but the frame is so smooth and tracks well so i think that the weak link is in the fork. any insight would be great.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
go threadless...

I would highly recommend going threadless, if you're going to spend money a new fork. If you shop around, you may still find a bargain fork on e-bay. Of course you can always get a new fork with a 1" steering tube.

Performance Bicycle has a package deal on a fork, stem headset and spacers for $150-$190. http://www.performancebike.com/shop...tegory_ID=5232&CFID=14288774&CFTOKEN=57361962

If you measure the height of your handelbars, vertically from the ground to the top of the bars and measure the head tube, without the headset, I can give you a pretty good idea for a spacer and stem angle combination to match your current setup.

My only other warning is that a carbon fork may not work miracles. I read a lot of claims that forks are responsible for various ride and handling problems. I have a hard time believing all them, because it's tough to separate the contribution of the frame from the fork in the ride equation.

· Slowpoke
86 Posts
Profile Design Carbon Fork

I have a 56 cm Specialized Allez Epic. I bought it used with the original aluminium fork and finally replaced it with a Profile Design BRC carbon fork. It was the best thing I could have done with this bike. It virtually eliminated high speed chatter and hash, and made riding centuries a pleasure.
An unexpected benefit was the increased top speed on steep downhills. I went from a max of 44 mph to 47 on 2 specific hills that I rode frequently. Control at all speeds is also better with the carbon fork. My shoulders aren't sore any more from extended rides either. :thumbsup:
This is my winter bike now, but I'll ride it until it won't ride any more. The Allez Epic is a sweet carbon bike that never received it's due.

· Registered
276 Posts
I agree with Carbonman; I've had a 56cm Allez Epic since 1991 (FYI headtube length is 150mm) and found that while the original fork handled really well, the ride was brutal. Replaced with a Look fork with threaded steel steerer and carbon blades - much more comfy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.