Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do the welds on the new Allez not look to smooth? If Cannondale could find a way to make there beautiful CAAD bikes with nice smooth welds could other brands not find a way to do it?!!!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
You're talking pure aesthetics. Once could argue that smoothing welds can weaken them.

But beyond that, I simply disagree that (overall) C'dales finished products are in any way superior to Specs. ATMO.. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So why would anyone want to buy a speacialized or other brand when they choose not to go the extra mile and pay attention to the small details like Cannondale has always done with there bikes?!!!

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Sometimes companies smooth the welds to hide crappy welding!

Unless there has been a couple of passes I don't want the welds ground off. If done right, smoothing doesn't necessarily make the weld weaker but it certainly doesn't make it any stronger.
The tubing on these frames is so thin that whoever does the grinding/sanding better be a real expert.
And how much does the many man-hours of sanding add to the price of the frame?

I'd much rather see good welds, especially on an import frame.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
So why would anyone want to buy a speacialized or other brand when they choose not to go the extra mile and pay attention to the small details like Cannondale has always done with there bikes?!!!
lol.. what "small details"?? They weld a few alu tubes together and call it a frame. You may think there's some sprinkling of magic dust here, but there really isn't.

There simply TIG welded, alu frames. If you really care about aesthetics, buy custom steel or Ti. THERE, you are talking quality craftsmanship.

Got a question for you. Did you cross post this in other manufacturers forums, or are you just trolling here?? :wink5:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
''SmartFormed Alloy'' The distilled result of three decades of accumulated aluminum construction experience, SmartForming techniques deliver incredibly precise wall thickness distribution and tube shapes, concentrating material exactly where needed to maximize stiffness and strength, while shaving every last extraneous gram from the structure. Internally all butting is accomplished via smooth tapered transitions to eliminate the abrupt changes in material thickness which cause stress-risers. Unlike the putty-and-paint ''smooth welds of our competition, Cannondale's legendary double-pass smooth welds create the strongest possible joints. Combined with our post-weld, heat-treat process that creates an true uni-body finished structure, and you've got simply the most advanced aluminum frames.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Got a question for you. Did you cross post this in other manufacturers forums, or are you just trolling here?? :wink5:
The guy definitely seems hung up on smooth welds and wants to judge the quality of a manufacturer by whether or not they sand them.

Of all the hundreds of things that matter in frame choice, the smoothness of the welds is probably the least important.
But the quality of those welds is very important so I want to see them.

·
Registered
710 Posts
''SmartFormed Alloy'' Unlike the putty-and-paint ''smooth welds of our competition, Cannondale's legendary double-pass smooth welds create the strongest possible joints. Combined with our post-weld, heat-treat process that creates an true uni-body finished structure, and you've got simply the most advanced aluminum frames.
Just remember that a lot of that "smooth weld" is the result of sanding/grinding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol.. what "small details"?? They weld a few alu tubes together and call it a frame. You may think there's some sprinkling of magic dust here, but there really isn't.

There simply TIG welded, alu frames. If you really care about aesthetics, buy custom steel or Ti. THERE, you are talking quality craftsmanship.

Nope just an average guy who loves bikes! I look at all of the brands and then compare what the have to offer. I just don;t think Specialized makes a nice of a bike as Cannondales!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Nope just an average guy who loves C'dales! I look at all of the brands and then compare what the have to offer. I just don;t think Specialized makes a nice of a bike as Cannondales!
Fixed it for you..

I think you should go visit the C'dale forum and sing the (C'dale) praises with those folks. At least until the company is bought/ resold... again (and again).

Or, stay here and try to convert us. But by my latest tally, you're battin' zero!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You're talking about an entry level road bike here...

If you don't care for the welds on a certain brand...don't buy one. The Allez frame set has won numerous awards for being an exceptional road bike at an entry level price.

Now...if you look up the ladder in the Allez line you'll find nicer frames. Within the Allez line, they actually offer 3 different frames; the A1, the E5 and the E5 Hydroformed. The sub $1100 models have the A1 frame, the $1450 models the E5 and the >$1700 the hydro E5. More $$ comes with a nicer frame and better finish.

Personally, I couldn't care less if a company drops some frill like smoothing welds to offer a great riding frame for lower $$ and by what I've read/heard, the Allez is a great bike for the $$.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just read in a mag where the tester of the new Allez hydro E5 race states that he could feel a lot of flex coming from the bottom bracket of this top end aluminum frame and, the tester only weighed a buck 50!!! Coming from a top bike mag!!!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Just read in a mag where the tester of the new Allez hydro E5 race states that he could feel a lot of flex coming from the bottom bracket of this top end aluminum frame and, the tester only weighed a buck 50!!! Coming from a top bike mag!!!
Wow, to say you're impressionable is an understatement.

But as was stated, the Allez's have won a number of awards. FWIW, Jamis Icon beat our your beloved C'dale CAAD in Bicyclings latest round. I guess the testers didn't notice (or care about) the welds.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.