Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had specialized armadillo tires on my bike for about 2 years with good success.I have not had a flat since using the armadillos, but in the last week i have had 2. I,ve seen the continental gp 4000 on ebay for a good price . Does anyone think they would be as durable as the armadillos.
any thoughts?

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
big wheel4300 said:
I've had specialized armadillo tires on my bike for about 2 years with good success.I have not had a flat since using the armadillos, but in the last week i have had 2. I,ve seen the continental gp 4000 on ebay for a good price . Does anyone think they would be as durable as the armadillos.
any thoughts?
Which armadillo? The newer folding ones or the wire bead red sidewall versions? Either way, apples and oranges. The newer armadillos are a huge improvement in ride quality over the "traditional" armadillos that I use on my commuter. The continential is a fast training/race tire that is very durable for its intended use. I doubt that the conti would be as durable as any armadillo, but the ride would be much better. The armadillos aren't exactly supple, but you can run over beer bottles with them. That is why they are on my commuter.

FYI- I used to have 23mm armadillos on my training wheelset that I used for long rides. I recently switched over to Specialized Roubaix 23/25 tires and they have made a world of difference in ride comfort while still being relatively flat resistant.

·
Registered
26 Posts
big wheel4300 said:
any thoughts?
I bought 2 pairs of the gp 4000 off ebay, got 500 miles on one set, about a hundred on the other. Like them and have been through some heavy road trash to include glass. OK so far and they come cheap (relatively speaking) . I normally use gator skins and would judge these to be close in flats, but vastly superior in performance. I like em.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I swapped to Armadillos' about 2 years ago and have found them great. They are on my training wheels, only 1 or 2 flats in that time. But the last one on the back has worn thru to the red really quick, like in 2000ks, how much do you guys run them down?

cheers

Ralph

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have also ridden both of them, and found that I still got enough flats with Armadillos that the negatives outweighed the good of less flats - they ride like a garden hose. I have 900 miles on a set of conti gp4000, only one flat so far (not too bad for Tucson, AZ).

·
Registered
234 Posts
watch what you get on E-BAY

big wheel4300 said:
any thoughts?
WATCH what you get on e-bay, I heard some reports that somebody is selling very cheep Continental GP tires(copy) on e-bay that DO NOT LAST, I think there is a forum here about this also. I have a pair of Conti GT forse(one of the top of the line Conti tires) and very happy with them as per as ride, flat protection, handling,etc. I would recomend GP 400 over armadillo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.