Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll probably get in trouble for asking this, but are Specialized bikes looking a little strange these days? Now I am a fan, I have a 05 Allez Expert/Ultegra, brushed aluminum and some carbon. Very clean looking and was thinking of getting a new one with Ultegra SL or some new SRAM stuff.

Was by my LBS last night wanted to have a look at the Tarmac Expert Ultegra. It got some great reviews about value and performance, am kinda thinking of going all carbon. I got to tell you I was really put off by the paint scheme.

I know its personal preference, but there was also a new SL2 on the floor and same reaction…
Is it just me or is there something just off with the look of these bikes? The SL2 is a weapon, I know… However the logo’s and the cranks…

I know these are fabulous bikes, but they also have to appeal to me and the paint and appearance is a walk away point especially when dropping almost 9K Cdn. For the SL2…If I was to spend that much.

I live in a Canada and when I ride I see a bunch of Treks, Scott, BMC, Cannondale and Cervalo, but as I think about, I rarely see a Specialized. Nobody I know, besides me rides a Specialized road bike. As we come into the warm weather the shops seem to have tons Specialized in, but sold out of or are b/o others.

Again, not picking on them, but just can’t put my fingerer on it…Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
You see more BMC's and Scott's than Specialized? That's really surprising.

I own three Specialized road bikes, and I'm not a big fan of their current trend of way over-the-top labeling of "Specialized" on every available surface. We get it. It's a Specialized. Way too gaudy, but I do like the paint schemes, just not necessarily all the colors (but that's always the case). I think the raw SL2 is absolutely gorgeous, probably because it's a bit more understated than the rest.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
+1

Dr_John said:
You see more BMC's and Scott's than Specialized? That's really surprising.

I own three Specialized road bikes, and I'm not a big fan of their current trend of way over-the-top labeling of "Specialized" on every available surface. We get it. It's a Specialized. Way too gaudy, but I do like the paint schemes, just not necessarily all the colors (but that's always the case). I think the raw SL2 is absolutely gorgeous, probably because it's a bit more understated than the rest.
I totally agree with Dr_John. Tarmacs are great bikes, but at age 56, I could do without finding Specialized written out 15 times (and I missed a few). All in all, a little too 'boy racer' for my tastes, but still a great bike in any flavor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are the decals under a clearcoat layer, or are they on top? i.e. can you quickly and cleanly remove them? I know it's possible to sand off the clearcoat, then re-apply it later once the decals are removed, but I'm not gonna take a piece 'o sandpaper to a new SL2 frame that was paid for with my own $$$...

·
Registered
292 Posts
It's under a clearcoat. The only stickers I could take off my new Tarmac Comp were the Gerolsteiner stickies and the bike shop sticker. I agree the branding is a bit over the top, but I still like the paint job on my Tarmac. The Expert is a bit gaudy with the gold, but I think I could live with it if the wheels were somewhat normal.

·
Team Tom's
1,900 Posts
I may be able to get a brand new Tarmac Pro but I'm honestly thinking of going the Expert route because I cannot get past the horrid "Raw" paint scheme. It's just fugly! Then you have some grayish stem and Roval wheels with red on them and there's not a hint of red anywhere on the frame. It's clash-city man! WTF were they thinking?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
MaddSkillz said:
I may be able to get a brand new Tarmac Pro but I'm honestly thinking of going the Expert route because I cannot get past the horrid "Raw" paint scheme. It's just fugly! Then you have some grayish stem and Roval wheels with red on them and there's not a hint of red anywhere on the frame. It's clash-city man! WTF were they thinking?
Ah, one man's candy is another man's medicine. I actually like the raw scheme on the Tarmac Pro because it semi hides - or at least mutes - the many spec logo's, but totally agree with you on the wheels.

From a value for the money standpoint I'd opt for the Expert and pocket the $1,000 for better wheels down the road. It's the same frameset as the Pro.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think the Tarmac looks great. I actually prefer that it doesn't look like every other bike. However, looks are a personal thing. If you prefer the looks of another bike, then that is the way you should go. I cannot speak for the sales in your market, but Specialized bikes are very popular around my area. I can also attest that the handling is excellent.

·
Team Tom's
1,900 Posts
PJ352 said:
Ah, one man's candy is another man's medicine. I actually like the raw scheme on the Tarmac Pro because it semi hides - or at least mutes - the many spec logo's, but totally agree with you on the wheels.

From a value for the money standpoint I'd opt for the Expert and pocket the $1,000 for better wheels down the road. It's the same frameset as the Pro.
This is true, but I kinda wonder about the difference in components between the Pro and the Expert....

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
MaddSkillz said:
This is true, but I kinda wonder about the difference in components between the Pro and the Expert....
Again, it's a personal thing. What you think is better, I may not. For example, I like Shimano cranks, and not being a weight weenie, I'd opt for the Ultegra crankset over the Spec carbon. All reports have not been stellar on Spec's cranksets. I also think Ultegra level componentry is fine, so I don't fret over it 'not being as good as DA'. Another plus is the standard BB on the Expert, as opposed to the Spec integrated/ oversized (read proprietary) BB on the Pro. My two cents.

If I'm not mistaken (and this seems odd), the Pro frameset looks to accept a standard BB. Now, why would the frameset have a standard BB, but the complete bike, not?? :confused:

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
ewitz said:
The bottom bracket is the new BB30 standard. Not a proprietary size.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. But if I'm understanding the design correctly, a standard Shimano (105, Ultegra, etc.) crankset cannot be fitted to the standard BB30, correct? I mean, without some type of adapter. I believe I read on Cannondale's site that once an adapter was installed (to accept a standard crankset), it could not be removed. I don't know if that applies to Spec frames as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.