Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why would Specialized choose to use this commerical during the Tour or even at all. IMHO, bad move on their part. :rolleyes:

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Specialized is using it because they paid a lot of money to the little coke freak and they are hoping most folks that see it don't care. All they know is he is Specialized.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
they only have two commercials.
they have already paid for the time.
they have already paid boonen.
it was coke, not PED.
the ad is directed at branding newbies, not any specific model. some noobs might know know about boonen. heck, the other one has a guy who isnt racing in the tour, either.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jupiterrn said:
Specialized is using it because they paid a lot of money to the little coke freak and they are hoping most folks that see it don't care. All they know is he is Specialized.
I am sure most don't care, but that is the face of their company and there are people out there like me that care. I guess today's society is so liberal that it won't matter. Personally, I wouldn't have him as the face of my company.

Will I stop using Specialized products...no. So I guess I don't care...LOL :D I still think it snorts, I mean sucks.:p

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
they should have given him some blow before taping - he sounds like he just woke up from a nap in that commercial--flatliner on the emotions. Does ESPY have 'worst performance by an athlete?' award? That was right up there with Brett Favre's performance in Something About Mary...

·
Administrator
13,149 Posts
jupiterrn said:
I like to dub in my own fake Boonen voice over: I like high school girls, sniffing da coke, and driving too fast. I moved to another country to dodge taxes. I am Specialized. . .

·
Registered
960 Posts
Pull the commercial...
Save the rep of your company...
save the rep of your sport...
Air the Bettini spot in it's place, even if that means seeing it as often as the SAAB spot.

Personally, I think getting busted for a legal (although illegal by doping standards) performance enhancing drug is bad for the rider, the sponsor, & the sport, but Cocaine (if memory serves) means jail time.

·
Registered
460 Posts
You're all missing the big picture. Vs is an American channel, we Americans love our drug addict, drunk driving, spouse beating(occasional slashing (OJ)), child neglecting, teen loving, non law abiding celebrities. You think a little blow is gonna stop an expensive ad campaign?

·
Registered
960 Posts
coop said:
You're all missing the big picture. Vs is an American channel,
We didn't miss it, we just wished that it wasn't thrown down our throats.
we get enough of that from MLB, NFL, and the NBA...

I kinda hoped that cycling would TRY to be classy...
too bad Marketing & Money are more important then pride huh?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sprocket - Matt said:
Pull the commercial...
Save the rep of your company...
save the rep of your sport...
Air the Bettini spot in it's place, even if that means seeing it as often as the SAAB spot.

Personally, I think getting busted for a legal (although illegal by doping standards) performance enhancing drug is bad for the rider, the sponsor, & the sport, but Cocaine (if memory serves) means jail time.

In France, I believe getting busted with doping products gets you jail time as well. Didn't Ricco get to spend the night in the clink?

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Coolhand said:
I like to dub in my own fake Boonen voice over: I like high school girls, sniffing da coke, and driving too fast. I moved to another country to dodge taxes. I am Specialized. . .

You are speaking toooooo fast if you are doing a Boonen voice over

I................like...........high.........school...........girls,.........sniffing.........da coke,..........and.........driving...........too............fast..............I...........moved...........to another................country.............to..............dodge..............taxes...........I am...............the ..................suxxor. . .

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sprocket - Matt said:
We didn't miss it, we just wished that it wasn't thrown down our throats.
we get enough of that from MLB, NFL, and the NBA...

I kinda hoped that cycling would TRY to be classy...
too bad Marketing & Money are more important then pride huh?

You and DIRT BOY need to start a over dramatisizing the issues thread. Boonen failed an out of competition drug test, he was not caught for possesion, that's why there was no jail time like you mentioned in a previous post.

As for missing the big picture, I believe you did. Good press, bad press, it doesn't matter in marketing as long as it draws attention. Besides, busted for blow? That hardly registers on the American culture as bad now a days, especially from a hardly known European (general public). Sad, but true.

·
Registered
460 Posts
stevesbike said:
yeah, but if the American public found out he was dating a 16-year old girl, he'd be in big trouble, put on every sex offender list, and never be able to buy property in the US....
Wrong again. As far as we know, Boonen has daddy's consent to be "dating" the 16 year old. Parental consent hasn't quite been outlawed in the states yet. Besides, a good lawer can get you out of anything. Who was that rapper that made a video of him peeing on some under age girl? Anyways, he got (no pun intended) off scott free.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.