Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These came new on my Allez. I swapped them to the indoor bike to use on the rollers and it's probably good I did. Yesterday, toward the end of the ride, I started to feel a distinct bump,bump,bump.

Turns out the tread split and pulled away. Glad I felt it before the tube blew. I know the Espoir is a low-end tire, but less than 500 miles indoors on rollers seems ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
These came new on my Allez. I swapped them to the indoor bike to use on the rollers and it's probably good I did. Yesterday, toward the end of the ride, I started to feel a distinct bump,bump,bump.

Turns out the tread split and pulled away. Glad I felt it before the tube blew. I know the Espoir is a low-end tire, but less than 500 miles indoors on rollers seems ridiculous.
Looks like it got cut by something but can't really tell by the picture. If they were used exclusively indoors then indeed you have a defective tire and should be able to get them replaced by wherever you bought them.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like it got cut by something but can't really tell by the picture. If they were used exclusively indoors then indeed you have a defective tire and should be able to get them replaced by wherever you bought them.
It's odd. I put probably 150 on them with the bike when I first bought it. After that, I moved them to the rollers where they've been exclusively ever since.

The slice doesn't go all the way through. It's as if the rubber separated from the underlying belt.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So, I swap out the Espoirs for an old set of Continental Ultra Sports. Granted, the Sports have been around for a while, but were in good shape.

About 100 miles in on the rollers and today I felt the thump-thump-thump. I checked the rear tire and there's a bulge. It hasn't separated yet, though. Odd.

I've checked the rollers. No issues I can see. Coincidence???

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I would check the wheels for out of round, a flat spot or hump in the dia. That will destroy a tire easily, especially if you're heavy.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would check the wheels for out of round, a flat spot or hump in the dia. That will destroy a tire easily, especially if you're heavy.
I am and I will. :) Thanks.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update.

I checked both rims and there are no flat spots and they're both true.

So, I bought a set of thickslicks on sale for $25 for the pair. I just installed them and did my 45 minute roll. Toward the end, it started to feel rough and a bit sluggish (more than my usual sluggish).

Then I got to spend another 20 minutes scraping off the rollers. The excess rubber at the center seam of the tire sloughed off and melted to them. :)

Hopefully once that process is done I'll be able to get back to some normal rides.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
A few years ago, I had a pair of Specialized tires on my hybrid. One developed a bubble after about 2,000 miles. I felt that "thump, thump, thump" near the end of the ride. It exploded as I was mounting it on the car.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few years ago, I had a pair of Specialized tires on my hybrid. One developed a bubble after about 2,000 miles. I felt that "thump, thump, thump" near the end of the ride. It exploded as I was mounting it on the car.
Timing is everything.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.