Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased an 07 Allez expert with full ultegra. I am a bit concerned with the wheels. Does anyone out there have the same bike and can give some feedback about them. I have heard stories that are crappy and craack easily, just wanted to see if i should change them now and if they are worth keeping.
So far love the bike, super fast.
Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Rastaman said:
I have just purchased an 07 Allez expert with full ultegra. I am a bit concerned with the wheels. Does anyone out there have the same bike and can give some feedback about them. I have heard stories that are crappy and craack easily, just wanted to see if i should change them now and if they are worth keeping.
So far love the bike, super fast.
Thanks
Are you talking about the R600 wheelset? If so, I have almost 1100 miles on mine since I bought the bike last August and I've had no problems at all. The Mondo Pro tires wear fast so be sure and rotate them every 500 miles or so.

The only mods I've done to the bike is changed the crank to an Ultegra SL compact from the standard 53/39. The bike was not my first choice but for $1800 new I'm very happy with it.

HTH,
Bill

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I have heard stories that are crappy and craack easily
They will crack. Just keep an eye on them. Mine, which came on my '06 Roubaix Expert, cracked at 11,000 miles. I only weigh 140 lbs and ride on pretty good roads. They also have a lot more lateral flex than most people will like, but for just riding around, I liked them a lot and feel like I got my money's worth.

So, I would recommend not replacing them until they crack. Up to a year, they'll be under warranty.

·
Neophyte
2,209 Posts
I've got the same bike (or an '06, but the wheelset is the same), doesn't have a ton of miles on it yet but I've accidentally gone over some ridiculously jarring cracks/potholes in the road... wheels still OK so far.

Also made the same modification BCR#1 made, switched to Ultegra SL compact crank.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Yes, they're really a YMMV wheelset. Like I said, I liked them a lot, and had just regreased/repacked the hubs. They were spinning great. And coincidentally, that bike now has an Ultegra SL compact crank on it too. Nice crank for the price.

·
Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Rastaman said:
What is the price on the Ultegra Sl compact. I have a triple on it and would like to get a compact on it .
Thanks
I paid $250 at the retail store when I got my bike, was in a hurry to get it all put together and didn't really mind the price. Probably cheaper now as that was last year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.