Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have some solid information about the 2004 Specialized Langster? I've done a couple of searches, but I can't find any weights or reviews on this bike. The price looks good, but is it a good value? I'm looking for a starter fixed gear I can use for commuting. I'd appreciate any feedback - Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
checking...

one of the wrenches in my shop ordered one for himself. I'll check in with him and see how he likes it.

Fuji Commuter said:
Does anybody have some solid information about the 2004 Specialized Langster? I've done a couple of searches, but I can't find any weights or reviews on this bike. The price looks good, but is it a good value? I'm looking for a starter fixed gear I can use for commuting. I'd appreciate any feedback - Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
2004 Langster

Just posted a review about the Langster. Just got mine today as a matter of fact. Because of production limits they are going to be hard to get a hold of. I ordered mine back in Decemeber and just got it today (March 3, 2004). It's a decent set up and cost effectively cheaper than a Fuji or KHS. Especially if you can get an EP price, which I was able to do through my shop. For $239 it's an awesome deal. The only thing that I will be replacing right off the bat will be the brakes and levers. Cheesy brake levers and brakes, but not too bad all around. The frame is sweet and it has an aero aluminum Specialized fork which is pretty nice. Alex DA16 wheelset which isn't the best but they'll do. It also has a flip-flop hub so you can go fixed or freewheel which for me is nice because my knees suck. Hope that helps...if you can get your hands on one, it's worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the Info

I appreciate the feedback - it looks like it is a difficult bike to find solid information on. Thanks a bunch

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
So where's the pic? :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Langster Pictures

Check out the pictures and you will see that I have added bull horns and double wrapped the bars. In between wraps I added 2.5mm bar phat right where they straighten out. Basically the bars just look really thick. I like the thickness, reminds me of my Odi Lock Ons that I have on my mountain bikes. Other than that, the brakes, seat and pedals are the first to be upgraded. I'll wait to upgrade the cranks until I wear them out. With those upgrades I'll be happy for a while. The factory bike weighs in at 20.72 lbs., not too bad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How does it ride? I've never owned an aluminum frame, but I know from studying the Rivendell site that they're quite uncomfortable. The price and a Brooks might make it worth a try, tho. Is there any lugged steel frame that you can compare it with?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Frame material

"from studying the Rivendell site that they're quite uncomfortable"

Don't beleive the hype- aluminum frames can be comfy too, albeit with a diffrent ride quality. There are steel rides that are more harsh they some aluminum ones. Modern tube sets have a lot more variation then those even from a few years ago. Hit the LBS and try out a few diffrent model bikes from different companies and diffrent materials and make up your own mind. Remember, the Rivendell folks are trying to sell a product, too....

·
Registered
40 Posts
mr_e said:
Don't beleive the hype- aluminum frames can be comfy too, albeit with a diffrent ride quality. There are steel rides that are more harsh they some aluminum ones. Modern tube sets have a lot more variation then those even from a few years ago. Hit the LBS and try out a few diffrent model bikes from different companies and diffrent materials and make up your own mind. Remember, the Rivendell folks are trying to sell a product, too....
You're right- mine was a poorly worded post. I'll check out some AL frames/bikes before I make any decisions, tho I'm probably still more likely to end up with a steel ride.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Steel

Hey, I work in a bike shop, and all my bikes (at the moment) are steel =) Whatever floats your boat. I've been really impressed with some of the newer aluminum bikes though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got to say, for some reason, oversized al tubes look really good on a fixie. Hey Sketchy One, is the top tube tear-drop shaped ? And when you say you got an EP price, what do you mean? Because 230-something sounds like theft to me - and I need to find out where I can get in on it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Auriaprottu said:
How does it ride? I've never owned an aluminum frame, but I know from studying the Rivendell site that they're quite uncomfortable. The price and a Brooks might make it worth a try, tho. Is there any lugged steel frame that you can compare it with?
This is not something I've ever heard Grant say. They have a list of reasons while they build with steel, but it's mostly to do with strength, durability, repairability, and aesthetics. I have heard him say that ultra-light AL frames will not hold up over decades of hard riding, which I think is true, but he is not claiming any magic ride qualities for steel vs other materials. He does say that Rivendell bikes are more comfortable than modern racing bikes, but as a result of they way they are designed and fitted, not what they're made out of. I'll let you know when my custom Riv gets here. Probably around December or January.

Hype and competitor-bashing just isn't Grant's style. Both in print and over the phone, he comes across as one of the nicest, gentlest, most knowledgeable people I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with. He does have a particular vision for what he wants Rivendell Bicycle Works to be, and he does go to great lengths to describe that vision, and the reasons for it, but interviewing your competitors in your magazine is pretty anti-hype. I think Grant summed it up best when he said, "We sell the stuff we like, the idea being that we're not freaks, so other people will probably like it too." So far, he seems to be right.

--Shannon

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
ep?

Dennis Rex said:
And when you say you got an EP price, what do you mean? Because 230-something sounds like theft to me - and I need to find out where I can get in on it.
EP = employee purchase, i.e. deal for shop guys.

my buddy at the LBS ordered one and was told that there were NO ep deals on the Langster from Specialized. True? He's keeping his Bianchi for now...

·
Registered
28 Posts
EP means... Other thread: Aluminum is nice!!!

EP simply means, Employee Purchase. I work in a bike shop, so we say EP. It's when we buy directly from the bike company. ET on the other hand is Employee Theft, if that were the case I would be in jail and unemployed! :) The frame is a true track geometry (budget track geometry), aggressive. Round tubes for the head, top, seat and down.The downtube is slightly ovalized towards the headtube, but hardly noticable. Not like the Allez models even though the Langster is considered an Allez Langster. Anyway,it rides quite nicely.

It's only my second aluminum bike, my second being a 2004 Rockhopper Pro with complete LX kit and XT cranks and bottom bracket. I really don't mind the stiff frame, I like my road bikes to be able to feel the road that's all. Steel is a little more plush, but unless you ride everyday or your name is Lance or Tyler, you won't be able to tell a huge difference.

For the cost of a Fuji or a KHS, I would still try to get a Langster. You can get a Dura-Ace or Surly fixed cog for about $35 at your LBS.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Has anyone heard any problems with availability on the Langsters? I've got my deposit down on one and should hear sometime soon if it's on it's way, just wondering if I should get my hopes up or not. By the way I'm down for a 62 if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
28 Posts
TACSTS said:
Has anyone heard any problems with availability on the Langsters? I've got my deposit down on one and should hear sometime soon if it's on it's way, just wondering if I should get my hopes up or not. By the way I'm down for a 62 if that makes any difference.
I know that the order of how the bikes leave the factory goes like this. The orders that were placed in November (the original due date of the Langster) weren't filled until March and when those orders were filled, Specialized opened up the available Langsters left for demos and then EPs. If you have a deposit on one, especially 62cm, chances are good that you'll get one, but if you ordered it recently, the odds of getting one get more and more slim. It is a more rare size. I highly doubt that they will ever see a showroom floor. My inside and outside rep. kept telling me that I probably wouldn't get one since I ordered mine on Dec. 17, 2003 and the pre-orders went in sometime at the beginning of November. Well, I kept in touch with the reps and every couple of weeks would call and bug them about it. It wasn't until the end of February that I was told that they did anticipate that they would sell well and produced more than the original 700 that were planned. Don't know man, cross your fingers and keep in touch with the people that you ordered it through if you really want one. The more they know you want one, the more they may mention it to their reps. It's a sale for them so it means something. Hope that helps. Let me know if you end up getting one, I'd like to know what someone other than myself thinks about them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
SmogRider said:
EP = employee purchase, i.e. deal for shop guys.

my buddy at the LBS ordered one and was told that there were NO ep deals on the Langster from Specialized. True? He's keeping his Bianchi for now...
Not true. An EP is how I got mine. They opened them up for EP about two weeks ago, mine was shipped on a Thursday and was at the shop I work at on Wednesday, March 3. Been riding it since. Tell your buddy to check with his Specialized inside sales rep.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well, I just called the shop and I've got a 62cm on it's way! I called yesterday inquiring about a Langster and a Allez Sport 27 for my girlfriend, and he said he'd see what he could do and told me to call back today to find out if he got them. Anyhow, I called him back and he said it was no problem, I've got a carbon 62 Langster coming and she's got a 54cm carbon Allez coming! We'll match! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Langster availability

Sketchy One said:
I know that the order of how the bikes leave the factory goes like this. The orders that were placed in November (the original due date of the Langster) weren't filled until March and when those orders were filled, Specialized opened up the available Langsters left for demos and then EPs. If you have a deposit on one, especially 62cm, chances are good that you'll get one, but if you ordered it recently, the odds of getting one get more and more slim. It is a more rare size. I highly doubt that they will ever see a showroom floor. My inside and outside rep. kept telling me that I probably wouldn't get one since I ordered mine on Dec. 17, 2003 and the pre-orders went in sometime at the beginning of November. Well, I kept in touch with the reps and every couple of weeks would call and bug them about it. It wasn't until the end of February that I was told that they did anticipate that they would sell well and produced more than the original 700 that were planned. Don't know man, cross your fingers and keep in touch with the people that you ordered it through if you really want one. The more they know you want one, the more they may mention it to their reps. It's a sale for them so it means something. Hope that helps. Let me know if you end up getting one, I'd like to know what someone other than myself thinks about them.
Interesting to read all of this. You guys have me worried. I just bought one over the phone at R&A Cycles in Brooklyn. I ordered a 62. They told me my bike is on its way and will be shipped next Tuesday. Then I read your correspondence and checked...they told me that there was no issue, the 62 is on its way. If they are right, it only took me 1 week to get one! I am looking forward to it. I want to cycle from Amsterdam to Barcelon on the machine.....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts