Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm this as a fact? Curious...I was told that Specialized was coming out with a brand new tire line up...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Specialized makes Hutch tires?

Dinosaur said:
Can anyone confirm this as a fact? Curious...I was told that Specialized was coming out with a brand new tire line up...
Maybe the other way around? Hutchinson will make the tires for the Specialized label? I dunno, just speculating...

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Can't confirm, but...

That sure sounds weird. I would find it hard to believe that anyone else would make tires for Hutchinson. The "big 4" of Hutch, Michelin, Conti and Vittoria (and probably a few others) probably make a lot of other private label tires for other people, but not vice-versa. Of course, there's still the small independents like Vredestrin, Schwalbe, etc. who make their own too.

Seems like I remember that Bontragers are made by Continental. I would think that a similar logic exists for Specialized. Their existing line does not seem to enjoy a reputation as a top-level tire, so I would think they would look to one of the tire conglomerates for some help.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I have it backwards....

Mike Prince said:
That sure sounds weird. I would find it hard to believe that anyone else would make tires for Hutchinson. The "big 4" of Hutch, Michelin, Conti and Vittoria (and probably a few others) probably make a lot of other private label tires for other people, but not vice-versa. Of course, there's still the small independents like Vredestrin, Schwalbe, etc. who make their own too.

Seems like I remember that Bontragers are made by Continental. I would think that a similar logic exists for Specialized. Their existing line does not seem to enjoy a reputation as a top-level tire, so I would think they would look to one of the tire conglomerates for some help.
I might have this backwards. I was visited my LBS the other day and ran into the owner, the Specialized Rep was in the store. Across the room the owner said that Specialized was coming out with a brand new line up, which included tires. Maybe it's Hutchinson makes the top of the line Specialized tires. I remember years ago using Specialized Turbos, the first slick fold up and they were great. I like the Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX's, but not the price. Vittoria makes Ritchey tires, I used the Tom Slicks, a little on he heavy side but wore well. Vredrestein Fortezza is the best buy for the money in my book (I can get them for $30.00).

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
And others...

Gommitalia is made by Vittoria, that is if it doesn't say made in Italy. If they do say made in Italy, they are made by Veloflex(different models).

By the looks of it, Zipp tubulars are made by Continental.

·
Administrator
12,977 Posts
Specialized makes Specialized tires- in Taiwan I believe. Lots of other stuff gets cranked out of the same lines, as they are built under contract. Specialized has had road tires for a long time. They are actually pretty decent, especially for the discounted price they run for.

Specialized changes their tire line-up regularly, with some nice new stuff coming out for road use this year. Last year they redid the MTN tire line, this year the road stuff is getting some new goodies. They also have put out some new road bars, spiffy new stems, and the ultra comfy Bar Phat tape and comfort goop pads. Specialized is making a bigger push into road this year after a good year last year on the road side of things. Oh, and this years Body Geometry saddles are really nice IMHO (about time though. . . .).

Coolhand

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
From what I've heard, Specialized doesn't make anything. They are simply a retailer-they have manufacturers design and make things with their name on it, then they sell them.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I think this is correct

Dave_Stohler said:
From what I've heard, Specialized doesn't make anything. They are simply a retailer-they have manufacturers design and make things with their name on it, then they sell them.
I think Specialized falls into the upper tier of companies in that most of the parts they include on their bikes are exclusive; manufactuered by contractors for use/sale only by Specialized.

Regarding the tire question, Specialized tires are made in Taiwan while Hutchinson's are made in France. And speaking of house brands, I think Hutchinson is made by Michelin. I'm not positive about this but if you look closely at the tires, they look identical and have identical specs.

Ed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nessism said:
I think Specialized falls into the upper tier of companies in that most of the parts they include on their bikes are exclusive; manufactuered by contractors for use/sale only by Specialized.

Regarding the tire question, Specialized tires are made in Taiwan while Hutchinson's are made in France. And speaking of house brands, I think Hutchinson is made by Michelin. I'm not positive about this but if you look closely at the tires, they look identical and have identical specs.

Ed
I agree on the Specialized stuff ... they may not make anything themselves, but they design many of their parts themselves for their exclusive use. I don't see anyone making anything similar to their Body Geometry stuff, for instance.

I highly doubt that Michelin makes Hutchinson tires. They're both French, but that doesn't mean they're the same company. Maybe their road tires look similar, but their cyclocross tires aren't anything alike, and their entire MTB tire lineups are completely different.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
FWIW, Hutchison has been around for ages (as opposed to the eons that Michelin has been around), so I doubt that an old rival like Michelin would make tires for them. Besides, I doubt Michelin is capable of making tires that badly............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts