Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shame on Specialized for hustling money from it's customers !!

The NON SCS hangers that supposedly allow you to use a non SCS wheelset on your Diverge or Crux is a plain and simple SCAM !!

Specialized,you suck !!!!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Simply put :

Specialized says " you can run any non SCS hub if you buy our non SCS hanger,it's out now,buy one !! " well,that is not true.

First of all it's been reported that even with a non SCS hanger you will incur in the followings :

1) your TA will not screw in all the way till the end of the threads,it will stop halfway there. Someone reported it on the Specialized helpdesk,Specialized folks asked a detailed foto report about it ( I've seen the picture on FB and it's quite scary )and the same person who sent the pictures in did not receive any reply from Specialized...I bet Specialized engineers are all in a big "oooops...did not see that coming".

2) Managed to find a non SCS hanger ( paid 10£ for it..) and last night I was ready to drop 800 Euro for a set of Mavic Ksyrium allroads. Well it turned out that Mavic does not provide an 12mm TA adapter for rear wheel and I'm ok with that,but the reason is if you want to go 12 TA you just can't,you have to go back to a QR,at least with Mavic. Specialized includes a standard QR hanger with the Specialized kit,they are aware of the thing but they want you to squeeze more money with a non SCS hanger.

3) let's say Mavic would provide a 12mm TA endcap but guess what ? Even in that scenario and with a non SCS hanger in place the wheel would be off centered by 2.5 mm !

Now,let's try to be a bit on the understanding side of the story. Disc brakes on road bikes are still in the womb phase,I know that,but screwing up people with a 10£ worth of rear hanger ? C'mon you greedy bastids.
I love my Diverge,I am a big Specialized fanboy. They are the best bikes out there to me,but for this one too much is too much,seriously...
Just ordered a set of hand built Pacenti wheels from the UK with a Hope SCS hubs. Total cost including shipping ? 802 Euro. Sorry Specialized,you can keep your SCS Rovals for this one. Yeah and the hell with you too...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Specialized SCS Issues, not all bad

Many people have been caught out with the Specialized propriety SCS rear end on Crux and Diverge thru axle bikes, including myself.

I purchased an S-Work Crux frameset and a couple of weeks later discovered the whole SCS issue. I quickly ordered a set of Roval Control SL CX - Centrelock (SCS) Wheelset (these were shipped with Diverge Pro bikes).
In February, 25 weeks later when they both turned up the frame was sweet! The wheelset had been discontinued and Roval Control SL (SCS) with 6 bolt were delivered.
Not wanting to run 160mm rotors, I ended up custom building a non-SCS set, with a replacement hanger from Specialized NZ.

Grey Household hardware Iron Metal Circle
The Non-SCS Hanger is part number #S162600004. The allows you to use a standard 12x135mm hub.

Bicycle part Bicycle chain Bicycle drivetrain part Carmine Gear
The hubs are DT Swiss 240S Centrelock with 12x135mm end caps, the end caps need to be purchased separately as hub is supplied with 12x142mm.

Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part
The final solution runs mint.

There looks to be another curve ball, 2017 Specialized Crux 12x142mm

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

The carbon frame was constructed from our FACT 10r carbon fiber that puts performance first without breaking the bank. It retains all of the rigidity and responsiveness required of 'cross racing and to promote ride quality, it's also equipped with a thru-axle design with 142mm rear spacing for all wheel compatibility.

https://thebikefactory.co.uk/product/96071/specialized-crux-pro-disc-frameset-2017/

·
Registered
760 Posts
Ah right, that was my concern for people using a normal wheel with the non SCS hanger - that it wont be centered, but can't quite get my head around it. I'm getting a second set of wheels built up for mine, but it is on a Hope SCS hub with Pacenti SL25 rims. I already have the newer 6 bolt Roval Control SCS wheels on my Diverge Pro.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Poor folks. Screwed by the big S again.

You know they've ditched SCS now right? The new Crux and such all come with Shimano standard 142x12.

Might be best to just sell your SCS bikes now to unknowing folk and get a new one with a proper specced frame/rear triangle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am going through this whole SCS disaster atm, and it seems like even Specialized doesn't know what they're talking about... I have a 2017 Diverge DSW which is their premium E5 aluminum frame, same material as the SWorks Allez, and they finally sent me a reply to my email.

It reads: "La roue arrière Axis Elite est compatible avec une transmission de 11 vitesses. Vous pouvez retrouver ici le guide de compatibilité pour le système SCS"

Or if you prefer in English: "The rear Axis Elite wheel is compatible with an 11 speed transmission. You can download the compatibility guide for SCS wheels here" http://service.specialized.com/collateral/ownersguide/new/assets/pdf/0000040845.pdf

However, if you look at the diagrams in that document, it clearly shows that an SCS hanger is recessed 2.5mm inboard, to make up for the fact that the hub's chainline is 2.5mm inboard as well. I haven't taken the RDH off my bike (too busy riding it!) but it is ARROW straight and has no offset at all. It looks much more like the one labelled "standard 130mm road chainline". My LBS is also clueless as to which system I am actually riding which really bothers me. Had I known this when buying the bike, I would have thought a LOT more about it.

Regardless I am happy they confirmed its 11 speed compatible, which was going to be my first upgrade. Ultegra with hydro discs after the winter season.

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
I am going through this whole SCS disaster atm, and it seems like even Specialized doesn't know what they're talking about... I have a 2017 Diverge DSW which is their premium E5 aluminum frame, same material as the SWorks Allez, and they finally sent me a reply to my email.

It reads: "La roue arrière Axis Elite est compatible avec une transmission de 11 vitesses. Vous pouvez retrouver ici le guide de compatibilité pour le système SCS"

Or if you prefer in English: "The rear Axis Elite wheel is compatible with an 11 speed transmission. You can download the compatibility guide for SCS wheels here" http://service.specialized.com/collateral/ownersguide/new/assets/pdf/0000040845.pdf

However, if you look at the diagrams in that document, it clearly shows that an SCS hanger is recessed 2.5mm inboard, to make up for the fact that the hub's chainline is 2.5mm inboard as well. I haven't taken the RDH off my bike (too busy riding it!) but it is ARROW straight and has no offset at all. It looks much more like the one labelled "standard 130mm road chainline". My LBS is also clueless as to which system I am actually riding which really bothers me. Had I known this when buying the bike, I would have thought a LOT more about it.

Regardless I am happy they confirmed its 11 speed compatible, which was going to be my first upgrade. Ultegra with hydro discs after the winter season.
Come on bro, this ain't rocket science. You have a straight hanger and I presume 10s cassette that came on the bike so you have a spacer in there so you can fit a 11s cassette.

Why don't you take the rear wheel off and measure your rear dropout spacing? That will tell you what you have. You don't have SCS if your rear hanger isn't offset.

PS: and industry insiders know plain and simple what Spesh did when then invented SCS. They trumped up an 'excuse' to create a proprietary wheelset to keep sales directed toward their wheels with proprietary hub for the so called benefit of chainline when running extreme X-chained. An excuse to sell more product when they shot themselves in the proverbial foot by alienating sales for knowledgeable buyers who will steer clear of this marketing ruse so they can run more conventional disk wheelsets. Its BS, a PITA and more about profit for big S than any actual advantage for typical riding and has somewhat backfired on them by alienating sales and rightly so....smart buyers won't buy a SCS bike because it limits wheel selection. It is the wheel version of BB30...lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use the non SCS d. hanger on my crux 2016 with non SCS wheels wo any problems
Before I got the no SCS hanger I just replaced the Driveside 12x135 with a 12x142 adapter which worked as well

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
I use the non SCS d. hanger on my crux 2016 with non SCS wheels wo any problems
Before I got the no SCS hanger I just replaced the Driveside 12x135 with a 12x142 adapter which worked as well
Maybe what Spesh ended up doing to accomplish the same end.

·
Not a climber
1,312 Posts
So literally all it takes is a new DH and I can run any wheels on my Crux?

I'll probably just end up buying a set of Axis or Roval wheels anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Right!
Or buy 12x142 endcaps an replace the driveside endcap.

Btw. The axis 4.0 scs disc wheels are crap, most complains are due to loose spokes.

So literally all it takes is a new DH and I can run any wheels on my Crux?

I'll probably just end up buying a set of Axis or Roval wheels anyway.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Come on bro, this ain't rocket science. You have a straight hanger and I presume 10s cassette that came on the bike so you have a spacer in there so you can fit a 11s cassette.

Why don't you take the rear wheel off and measure your rear dropout spacing? That will tell you what you have. You don't have SCS if your rear hanger isn't offset.

PS: and industry insiders know plain and simple what Spesh did when then invented SCS. They trumped up an 'excuse' to create a proprietary wheelset to keep sales directed toward their wheels with proprietary hub for the so called benefit of chainline when running extreme X-chained. An excuse to sell more product when they shot themselves in the proverbial foot by alienating sales for knowledgeable buyers who will steer clear of this marketing ruse so they can run more conventional disk wheelsets. Its BS, a PITA and more about profit for big S than any actual advantage for typical riding and has somewhat backfired on them by alienating sales and rightly so....smart buyers won't buy a SCS bike because it limits wheel selection. It is the wheel version of BB30...lol.
No, that isn't actually it at all.

Disc brakes on road bikes are in their infancy, and Specialized had a system they thought was superior to 142x12. They expected others to adopt it, didn't charge a dime to anybody who wanted to use it, and they just got it wrong.

Also, they didn't have SCS aftermarket wheels available until some time after the Diverge was introduced. If it was a scam to sell more wheels, don't you think they'd have, you know, had wheels to sell from the jump?

The whole SCS thing has been a cluster, but you need to slow down with the conspiracy theory BS you're making up out of thin air.

Also, since you mention "industry insiders" - do you actually know anyone you'd consider to be one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can't see the problem.
There are several working solutions to fit a non SCS wheelset.
2017 frames are 12x142 anyway

Move on ;o)

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
No, that isn't actually it at all.

Disc brakes on road bikes are in their infancy, and Specialized had a system they thought was superior to 142x12. They expected others to adopt it, didn't charge a dime to anybody who wanted to use it, and they just got it wrong.

Also, they didn't have SCS aftermarket wheels available until some time after the Diverge was introduced. If it was a scam to sell more wheels, don't you think they'd have, you know, had wheels to sell from the jump?

The whole SCS thing has been a cluster, but you need to slow down with the conspiracy theory BS you're making up out of thin air.

Also, since you mention "industry insiders" - do you actually know anyone you'd consider to be one?
Conspiracy theory? Unless you live under a rock...presuming you don't, you have to be as blind as a bat to not see what's at play. Wake up brother.

Same goes for the Praxis thread you weighed in on. Only reason why Praxis put that 28mm step in their crank is to sell their companion BB which is the only BB that work with their crank. Is that a conspiracy theory also? How about Campy with their designs used to extoll more money from the public? Their 112mm single BCD on otherwise common 110mm compact crank so you only buy their chainrings?...even though this can be hacked and I have and do.

Campy is notorious for this....from their proprietary chain tool to their crank extraction tool when the rest of the industry sells cranks that are self extracting. The whole industry has morphed to 'integration' to sell only their components with their bikes. This now even includes stems and integrated handlebars which can and are hacked by racers who don't want to play by these rules. Consumers have been stuck with crappy seat post clamps being hemmed into proprietary seat posts for well over a decade....bikes without a generic seat post. As to BB's OE's skirt the edge of customer disdain they cross more than they don't under the marketing guise of exclusivity including the glut of non value added BB's out there which has spawned a cottage industry of workarounds in the aftermarket. This even portends to rear cassette and freebodies unlike the 'screw up' that effectively commonized 11s spacing for Campy, Shimano and Sram.

Reality is, smart bike guys see SCS for what it is, a marketing ruse that limited wheel selection and to many...not the average dumb Spesh fanboy who runs wheels off the rack, it matters and created an outcry in the industry and why many bought elsewhere. Respectfully, you are flat wrong about this.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Of course, none of these designs could be caused by patents.:idea:

I'm certain when Campagnolo and Shimano patented their electric shifting, that made it tough for Sram to come up with theirs. When Sram patented there wireless shifting, that kinda screwed FSA group.

I usually see small differences with how things work due to patents, not to con the average buyer to be locked into the company's products. Even if that is true, there is nothing wrong with it either.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts