Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sort of sick of dealing with this at this point, but here's the deal. I picked up an 06 tarmac SL and I am trying to run a 105 hollowtech II crankset with it.

So... I purchased a bb30 adapter to english made by FSA. Took it to my LBS and they looked at it and said they can't make it work. The dimensions of specialized's oversized bottom bracket is a bit different than the standard bb30. They said they had a bike with the specialized adapter in it that they could pull out and put in my tarmac, but it's italian thread only - that would mean buying a new bottom bracket.

So the other option is that I have been talking to a guy at Wheels who has recommended these - http://wheelsmfg.com/content/view/785/54/ He says they will work as long as the tarmac uses the 6806 bearings. I have no idea whether it does, any way to figure this out? Specialized customer service doesn't seem to know, strangely enough. I have read that the s-works crankset uses the 6806-2RS bearings, so it would make sense that since the bike came stock with the cranks then it would use those bearings. He says he can get me the wheels bearings and the shims for a good price, but I don't know if it will work...

So... 2 options -

1) have the LBS use the specialized adapter and then buy a new italian BB
2) get the 6806 bearings (if they work, does anyone know?) and the bb shims

thoughts? This is really becoming a headache, I just want to ride my bike...

·
Registered
520 Posts
What cranks are in it now? Why not take the bike to a specialized concept shop and have them order the adapter and have it done right? Man do you really want to put a 105 crankset in a Tarmac SL? seems like you are putting Big O tires on a Formula One Car. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
934 Posts
3) Order the proper adapter.
4) Use a BB30 crankset

The bearing size (61806, which is the same as 6806 at 30x42x7) is part of the BB30 specification, so you should be OK with the shims as well.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
g-Bike said:
What cranks are in it now? Why not take the bike to a specialized concept shop and have them order the adapter and have it done right? Man do you really want to put a 105 crankset in a Tarmac SL? seems like you are putting Big O tires on a Formula One Car. Just my 2 cents.
well when you're a college student not running on a disposable income... you do what you can. So unfortunately, using a bb30 crankset is out of the question. Like I said, at this point I just kinda want to ride my bike. I would like a dura-ace or s-works crankset but... I can't afford it.

·
Naso Unicornis
875 Posts
livin4lax09 said:
well when you're a college student not running on a disposable income... you do what you can. So unfortunately, using a bb30 crankset is out of the question. Like I said, at this point I just kinda want to ride my bike. I would like a dura-ace or s-works crankset but... I can't afford it.
FSA makes a reasonably affordable BB30 Gossamer crankset. It should work just fine with your Tarmac SL. Also, look on Ebay. There's a multitude of Cannondale Hollowgram SI/SL for sale as well as the Carbon SI. The 6806 bearings are dirt cheap. I would be surprised if you pay more than $15-$20 per bearing.

Best of luck,
CHL

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the tip chl, maybe in a little while when I start working again.

I ended up getting the italian threaded adapter put in and will just get a new bottom bracket. Not the cheapest route, but I know it'll work so it's fine with me. Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
520 Posts
From what I can gather from the Specialized Website, www.specialized.com you can not use a BB30 unless you have the SL Pro or SL2 model.......... You could always give your shop a call and know for sure. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
n3zos said:
I am a bit confused
I want to ask u if i can use the specialized crankset . i own a tarmac expert 09 ??
you can NOT use the cranks, the frame has to come with the cranks installed, Expert model and below are BSA cups only, even if you buy an S-Works SL2 frameset with threaded BSA shell you can't use the BB30 S-Works cranks you have to get the module with cranks

-dustin said:
given how the Specialized adaptor works...I'm kind of wondering if they're all Italian threaded...
All BB30--->BSA adapters are Italian thread it the only way they are going to work properly, and hopefully the OP hasn't installed yet because you are not able to remove the adapter after install from what I have been told at Specialized. (I work at a Spec shop and have been to Spec for many tech/training classes)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts