Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the toew box on these? Wide? Normal?
Maybe compared to Shimano?
Overall quality and feel of the uppers?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I like mine

The toe box is just slightly smaller than my old Shimanos but I went from size 46 Shimano to size 45.5 in the Spez, so maybe that's the difference. I have wide flat feet so the width was a big issue for me while shopping for a shoe. The Pro Road are a nice shoe. They are quite light and stiff. The uppers are decent quality. The body geometry actually seems to do right by me. I also had Spez MTB shoes before buying these and that helped sway my decision. You won't be dissappointed.

·
Roadbike Rider
1,293 Posts
They fit nice and wide . They are comfortable however I found SIDIs a little more comfortable but the stiff SIDIs did not come in the wider width. My opinion on the body geometry BS, is to try the middle insole,. Only if you find them really sloppy or too tight do you need to modify. I used the foot pad and it recommended the high arch insole. After trying it on a couple of rides I felt that it held my foot too tight. You need to be able to wiggle your toes a little. So now the fancy insoles are in my slippers, what a waste.

Overall the shoe helps my climbing a bit, probably in my head, and stays comfortable, even on long hot rides

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have a set and they have a nice, roomy toe box. It's not to the point where it is loose feeling, just where you get a tad of wiggle room in there. I've never owned Shimanos, but the custom fit ones have me wondering if I might try some. The blue insoles are the ones I use in my mtb and road shoes. I have a set of custom insoles too and they feel nice in there as well.

·
Darling of The Lounge
5,337 Posts
I have a pair of BG Comps and they fit my wide feet very well. I have considered those Shimano heat-formed shoes, but always heard that your feet will tend to swell during the course of a day. I assume this too would be the case during a long ride. A pair of shoes that fit snug at the start of the ride may cause you great discomfort as the miles go by.

·
Oh hai there
1,118 Posts
I had been riding the BGcomps for a few years and liked them just fine, but I had some money burning a hole in my pocket and bought a pair of the BG Pro Carbons, and boy are they comfy. I had initially just grabbed another set of comps, but something wasnt right about the fit so I grabbed the Pro's and they were right on the money. YMMV

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Retro Grouch said:
I have a pair of BG Comps and they fit my wide feet very well. I have considered those Shimano heat-formed shoes, but always heard that your feet will tend to swell during the course of a day. I assume this too would be the case during a long ride. A pair of shoes that fit snug at the start of the ride may cause you great discomfort as the miles go by.
Well I was told on those to wear them a few hundred miles and have them formed later in the day after walkig around a bit with normal shoes to compensate for swelling.

All the ino here sounds good. I will go try some and get these new NW shoes sold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.